Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got about 16 hens that won't lay eggs I know some are not big enough but that leaves 12 that can and don't the ain't sick they get good feed have clean water and no odd violent behavior going on and the don't eat the eggs I can't figure it out

Any ideas please

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
If it is hot, the biddies here take a break.
Doesn't say where you are located, but it's hot in a lot of places.

my experience where I am is non laying begins in Oct - goes to (varies) I've had - end of Dec, middle of Jan, or Feb being when an egg or two gets laid. Then back at it by the end of Feb.

I am Zone 5b

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Chickens, depending on breed, lay 250-300 eggs per yr (roughly 2 every 3 days. In my experience with free range, heritage breeds, that's true for their first full year of laying (they start ~ 6-8 months old) but then starts to decline, and by their 3rd yr, they may not be worth the cost of feed.

Reasons for sudden decline-- weather (too hot/ too cold) diminished light (winter/ long cloudy period); molting; emotional factors (pecking order fights/cramped quarters/ threats from varmints, etc) or "pseudo-decline" (egg eating or hiding eggs); nutritional deficiencies. there's probably others.

You may not have evidence that predators are bothering them, but maybe they're around and threatening them?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I got about 16 hens that won't lay eggs I know some are not big enough but that leaves 12 that can and don't the ain't sick they get good feed have clean water and no odd violent behavior going on and the don't eat the eggs I can't figure it out

Any ideas please
You may have another predator getting your eggs. Snakes can leave no trace they were there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A couple of years ago I bought 60 laying hens from a man whose parents had passed away and he didn't ant to deal with them. After we brought them back to the house quite a while. A friend of mine told me told give them some cheap dry cat food and it seemed to kick start them back to laying. They started back up a few days after I started putting the cat food out.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
If it is hot, the biddies here take a break.
Doesn't say where you are located, but it's hot in a lot of places.

my experience where I am is non laying begins in Oct - goes to (varies) I've had - end of Dec, middle of Jan, or Feb being when an egg or two gets laid. Then back at it by the end of Feb.

I am Zone 5b
Hens will lay yr around if you keep a light on them. Confuses them about time of year.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A couple of years ago I bought 60 laying hens from a man whose parents had passed away and he didn't ant to deal with them. After we brought them back to the house quite a while. A friend of mine told me told give them some cheap dry cat food and it seemed to kick start them back to laying. They started back up a few days after I started putting the cat food out.
How long did they go without laying

1 - 20 of 49 Posts