Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I understand, making bras by hand can be quite a tedious task, but I'm also curious about it. If we end up in a worst-case scenario, it would be nice to have the skills to make new ones if I need to. Ditto undies.

Anyone have thoughts on the subject?

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
After what I went thru to buy bras that fit me, I was ready to make my own. I found 2 in the size I was looking for in a store, but could not find any more like them in my size. After looking quite literally for months, I ended up ordering them.

And I've often thought about making my own undies. I like the boy leg style, but wish the legs came down a bit farther.

·
Registered
679 Posts
During the depression they made underwear out of flour sacks. Maybe history has the answers you seek? Bone (once used for corsets) could be used for bras... But history shows us that fashion and clothing will change with the times. If there are no bras to be had chances are it will not be part of the expected wardrobe for long.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Not that I should have any say so in the matter, but as far as I am concerned, don't worry about the bras, I don't understand why women wear them anyway.
It's more a social stigma than anything, society expects women to wear them, so they do.
My wife, 38D, takes hers off as soon as she walks in from work every day. On weekends she doesn't wear one, but if we get ready to go to town, she puts one on, only to take it back off as soon as we get back home.
Years ago, I lived with a different girl, 42DD, who did the same thing. I dated another gal for a while, 32 or 34 B, who never wore one unless dressing up for a date or a meeting, etc.

I constantly hear women complain about them, so, if they are so uncomfortable, why bother with them?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, if I were of a certain size, going without a bra long-term would be an option. Unfortunately, I'm not. It gets uncomfortable if I go for several days (say if I'm sick) without a bra. So not having bras on hand is not an option.

From what I'm seeing, bra-making is just not something that many people do. It's too easy to go to the store and get new ones. There has to be another option out there, though. I just have to find it.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I read once in a magazine that not wearing a bra stimulates the lymph system and helps to prevent breast cancer. The story was that during the 1920's when the flat chest look was popular, the breasts were comstrained and breast cancer rates rose.

I had lumpectomy in 05, and have always worn a bra since, even to bed.

Back in the 70's many sewing centers were offering lingerie classed. I took classes from a lady who sold the elastic and tricot and all the fixings, and also ordered from a place in Minneapolis. Our class ladies made some gorgeous things. I did make a couple bras and I liked them. Kwik Sew patterns had many different lingerie patterns, the kind with multiple sizes that you trace.

I got a nice front fastening bra at Walmart not long ago for less than 5 dollars and like it fine. I doubt I could make one for that.

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
I've made underpants -- just cut up an old pair and made my own pattern. Not difficult to do. If I were to have to make a bra, I'd go with a shelf bra rather than a formed one. I don't think they would be as difficult to make.

OTH, in case of the kind of disaster that would necessitate my making bras, I would think there would be clothing all over the place that could be scavenged. It's not like everyone's clothes are going to disappear. And if they did, then the fabric to make bras would also.

Reactions: CuriousWanderer

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
During the depression they made underwear out of flour sacks. Maybe history has the answers you seek? Bone (once used for corsets) could be used for bras... But history shows us that fashion and clothing will change with the times. If there are no bras to be had chances are it will not be part of the expected wardrobe for long.

When I was a little girl my parents where friends with an old lady who told of buying her younger sisters store bought underwear when she went to visit them as the flour sack underwear was rough and scratchy.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts

When I was a little girl my parents where friends with an old lady who told of buying her younger sisters store bought underwear when she went to visit them as the flour sack underwear was rough and scratchy.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
I agree with the cost of fabric you do better ordering what you need and putting in up for later. I would guess you could bind yourself if the need really happened.

Funny my great grandmother had 14 kids she was a farm wife and would tie the baby on her back and throw her boob over her shoulder to nurse them. I thought that was so neat growing up hearing the stories of her boobs, when she was in her 90's she was helping my grandmother pick beans and her boobs kept getting in her way and away they went she reached down her dress and one flip and two flips and no more boobs in the way .

I have a new grand baby coming and went to Joanne fabric and was floored at the prices of the cheap stuff the good stuff was just nuts

you might try looking up historic patterns on the internet.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Unless you stocked up on bra making materials and supplies now I think it would be hard to find them in a worst case scenario situation.
I have some of the supplies and material stored but need to make some bras so I can become proficient.
I already make my hubby's boxers.
I agree I probably wouldn't even wear underwear but we will need to practice good hygiene so I probably will wear them.
If you a are thinking about undies, what about monthly pads ??

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Janis, I'm post hysterectomy, so thank GOD, not a concern for me on the monthly supplies. I don't even want to consider what life would still be like if I weren't post hyster.

Part of the reason I'm interested in making my own bras is because I'm just curious to see if I can make something that feels natural, gives me support, and doesn't feel like a bra. More of a very supportive camisole or something. I might just have to get some fabric and play around, see what I can come up with. And I'd definitely rather try it now than years down the road when I need that skill because there are no bra manufacturers still in business. Or maybe I'm just hoping I don't get stuck in a time machine, lol!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree with the cost of fabric you do better ordering what you need and putting in up for later. I would guess you could bind yourself if the need really happened.

Funny my great grandmother had 14 kids she was a farm wife and would tie the baby on her back and throw her boob over her shoulder to nurse them. I thought that was so neat growing up hearing the stories of her boobs, when she was in her 90's she was helping my grandmother pick beans and her boobs kept getting in her way and away they went she reached down her dress and one flip and two flips and no more boobs in the way .

I have a new grand baby coming and went to Joanne fabric and was floored at the prices of the cheap stuff the good stuff was just nuts

you might try looking up historic patterns on the internet.
I don't know whether to be horrified, amused, or fascinated. I think it's a mixture of the three. LOL!

And holy carp, the prices on fabric! Yeah. Congrats on the grandbaby.

·
Premium Member
7,035 Posts
There's always handkerchief bras.

Mon

·
I love South Dakota
5,320 Posts
When I made custom lingerie, I made "fancy" bras and panties, but they were more for . . . nighttime activities and not daytime use. there are plenty of patterns for making halter type tops (or at least there use to be when they were pobular) and you can follow the same pattern for a bra - though it would be bulky to wear under "modern" clothing.

Very old styles just had something that supported underneath to keep them from bouncing around, none of this "lift and separate" we worry about today, but the women back then were interested in a different "profile" then most want today.

most store bought bras are built with a lot of "flexibility" of sizing in them to accommodate the different sizes of women that may buy them. When making them for yourself, you don't have to put some of those features in place as you can make them to fit you. A bra doesn't' have to be made with a lot of elastic to be comfortable and supportive.

I have also made several swimsuits in the past, and many of them have the same structure to help with getting a basic bra pattern.

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
When each boulder wears 5 pounds, you wear a bra.

Have you tried bathing suit patterns? Once you make a couple you’d know enough to figure out how to customize to yourself.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts