Wondering about letter in Countryside Magazine

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by luckysranch, Aug 10, 2005.

1. luckysranch

luckysranch Well-Known Member

This morning I was reading the new Sept./Oct. issue of Countryside and came across a reader letter about starting a Christian homesteading community in Missouri near where I live. It had some generally nice ideas and peaked my interest, so I did a little searching on the internet because the website listed in the letter did not work.

I just hope that people really do some research before taking people up on offers that just seem "too good to be true". Here is the link I found to the church website http://www.ourchurch.com/view/?pageID=85174

I hope this helps people think things through before embarking on a cross country adventure. Homesteading can be rewarding - my husband and I just picked up everything and moved to a very rural farm for a more simple life. But I am not too sure about this man's intentions. Good luck! Let me know what you think.

2. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

This place sounds a bit 'militaristic' for my tastes. There was something in the writings that just sent up the red flags but I can't put my finger on it. :shrug:

Hopefully, people will do their homework before joining Any intentional community.
    Just my personal opinion is this IC-Church of Acts; sounds like it has the potential to be another sect like the Branch Davidians or even worse the followers of Jim Jones. I sure hope that's not the case-so many lives were affected; all with the desire to be part of an active, faith centered community.

I'm anxious to hear what others thought about the community too!

3. froggirl

froggirl Feelin' Froggy

Looks like you'll eventually be asked to give up Christmas, Halloween and Easter.....not for me!
    --f.g.

4. trappmountain

trappmountain Well-Known Member

Funny how the link from the main page doesn't work! It sounds Very wrong to me. I hope a lot of poor lonely people don't end up in that place!

5. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

I read that with much interest to my dh, because we are building our homestead with that rustic look of a frontier town ourselves.

But my "red flags" went up also, and I mentioned that it had the sound of Jim Jones to me too.

6. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

I couldn't find a statement of faith on the site. That concerns me. I'd like to know exactly what they believe.

And I agree, I hope anyone looking to join researches them thoroughly.

7. exegeses

exegeses Well-Known Member

I went and looked at the web site and was wondering what sounded like the Branch Davidians or Jim Jones? The beliefs these people hold are not what I would call common but there are more of them out there scattered throughout this country than you may think! We have never met these people but many (not all) of our beliefs are alike (including no Christmas, Easter, Halloween BTW). When I look at their site I just see people wanting to live close to others of like belief. What bothers me is that today many people seem to think that if your religious beliefs are -quite different- from today's "average Christianity", then "red flags" go up because there must be something wrong. BTW - that's how tried & true "city folk" think of those of us who homestead. "They're weird - there must be something wrong with them - etc. etc. etc."

8. Snowdancer

exeges, that's the reason for caution and research right?
    In order to separate the true communities from possible cults such as Jim Jones; would you suggest just going on blind faith or would you suggest doing research before joining?.

No one said NOT to join; just research it thoroughly and use caution.

9. exegeses

exegeses Well-Known Member

KY Guest: I guess we tend to research about everything and are naturally skeptical (well, maybe that's not natural! :) ) so I forget that some people don't!

tyusclan: The statement of faith was here: http://www.ourchurch.com/view/?pageID=89438#4SECT

10. Snowdancer

I understand exegeses, that's the problem in some cases, folks go forward on very little information which we know could be a lot of good PR.
    Some rush in headlong instead of going slow and cautious and find themselves in a mess. What's that saying? "Fools rush in where angels fear to tread" ;)

I've been accused of being too cautious but it's served me well for a long time!! lol

11. Marchwind

Marchwind Fiber Arts forum Mod. Supporter

Southwest Michigan by way of the Northwoods of MN
    What stood out in my mind was their statement that they want their members to be debt free. It really makes me wonder how that will be accomplished. Red flags are waving madly.

12. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

My eyebrows went up with the part about how you could make thousands of dollars quickly working with them.

13. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member Supporter

CS has sure taken a major turn for the worse in the last 5 years. When my renewal notice came from Van Nuys CA , I knew it was time to search elsewhere for my self reliency information.

14. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

well it is a scam to get money. at every turn he wanted money, or free gifts of money, or free offers. none of the pictures worked for me. so i couldn't see his place.

15. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I sent n email, it came back as undeliverable. i guess that about says it. a scam. for you to send money.

16. Snowdancer

I have to ask, don't the editors check out these kinds of articles?? It's not a slam but a lot of people 'assume' that a long time, reliable magazine such as CS is sort of endorsing these places when they print their articles and that could be a big mistake for the very trusting types.

I had subscribed to CS for years; 1982 until 2003 when the magazine seemed to undergo some changes. The style & flavor changed and not for the better IMO.
    I quit subscribing when there was suggestions on how to clean cement and it said to mix bleach & Dawn!! That same edition also talked about killing fleas on dogs by using motor oil! Granted both were reader submission but again-don't they check out submissions? That was it for me, when it was time to renew I didn't.
    I miss the old CS but I guess nothing stays the same.

17. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Shrek: It is very common for a periodical to use a subscription management service as it takes the load off of them. Take a look at the editorial information block in most magazines. Seems like the old Mother Earth News' subscription service was in CO.

Bear in mind CS is mostly a reader written publication. If it has changed, it may be as much the readership interests has changed as the editorial staff.

I have brought the letter to the attention of Anne-marie.

18. diane

diane Well-Known Member

" The Lead Apostle also selects his replacement. Jim Petty is the Lead Apostle appointed by God to be responsible for this movement of God. With the help of others, he is the person God has placed here to establish and develop this work.

As stated above, The Church Of Acts has one "Lead Apostle" with the title of "Archbishop." named Jim Petty, a/k/a/ James R. Petty who serves under Christ Jesus. Below Christ, he holds the top position of leadership, responsibility and accountability for the Ekklesia, (Churches) established under this movement of God. He has complete authority after much prayer to make all decisions and to execute any and all documents,leases and all other instruments necessary to carry out the work of this church movement. He shall remain the Administrator during his lifetime unless or until he replaces himself. Jim Petty is to appoint his own replacement prior to his death and that replacement will take over upon the death of Jim Petty. He cannot be challenged or replaced by any other person or persons or by any other means or circumstances of any kind what-so-ever. These same rules shall apply"

Sounds rather "fishy" to me. Did anyone read anything as to how many folks were already involved or is this just the dream child of this Jim Petty????

19. Debbie at Bount

Debbie at Bount Well-Known Member

Call me a dumb Christian, but I didn't understant their Statement of Faith, althoogh I read through half-heartly just once. Didn't feel like reading a Webster dictionary on the word precept or somehing like that. It seems to me that in a very strict intentional community you need a dictorship and his court to make sure "you do what your suppose to do". I live in a Free world and what to stay there..

20. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

The part of the website that bothered me the most was their assertion that most Christians don't know their position or 'place' in God's plan and they can help you find it. ????????? THAT set of alarm bells in my head!

Cheryl