Wonderful Dentist visit

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by AngieM2, Nov 17, 2006.

1. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

Now I have to tell you. I'm about to go under some long term dental work, long neglected due to costs, etc.

Today I went to get first 1/2 mouth deep cleaning, gums with antibotic, etc.

Sounds like torture.... my nerves and tummy kicked in, cause I've had BAD experiences with dentist growing up...
    also small mouth, and extreme gag response to stuff in my mouth.

This technician this morning was so GOOD..... I cannot believe it. I did it without any deadening, and she use ultrasonic. Not those hooks that can pull you out of the chair with trying to get a stubborn place clean. My stomach is unclenching from being uptight severelly.

I just cannot get over how much better things have gotten. I've go homework to do, certain toothpaste, certain mouthwash to masage gums, and get a water pik.

But I just cannot get over the fact I'm sitting here, not in pain, not numbed and not feeling bad. And okay to get the other part done on Monday...

Wow.

Angie

2. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

Good for you!

I have to admit, I've been putting off my dental care too. I have a lot of work that needs done, a couple places that hurt for a while but then stopped hurting...I figure that if it doesn't hurt I don't go to the dentist. Not because I'm scared of dentists or anything (it's not fun, but I can cope), but I just can't justify spending the money on myself. My kids go every 6 months, as they should. But there are just so many other expenses that seem to come first. Well, maybe someday.

3. Melissa

Melissa member

I know it is hard to spend the money, but it is so much cheaper to have small problems taken care of than to wait for big ones. I have friends who wait until their children's teeth need pulled rather than take them for regular check-ups. I would go without everything before I would do that. An extraction is not only expensive monetarily, but you are without the tooth forever. And if it needs a root canal that can be over a thousand dollars. Makes a $50 filling seem very cheap...

4. QBVII

QBVII Well-Known Member

YAY, Angie! Glad to hear it, you deserve sumpin good! :dance:

5. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

...and I'd recommend adding a sonic toothbrush to that list of yours. Like so many things, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Congrats on being so brave!

6. Lizza

Lizza Well-Known Member Supporter

I heartly second this recommendation! We love our sonic toothbrush. Our kids use them too. We also use a water pik in addition to the sonic. Of course in addition to any special mouthwashes and/or toothpastes your dentist wants you to use.

It will be expensive to get completely set up but well worth the money! Like Melissa says, it will pay for itself when you have healthy teeth that only need yearly cleaning and nothing else. Plus you will add years to your life with heathly teeth and gums.

Congrats on the good dentist appointment!!

7. 3sunz

3sunz Well-Known Member

I also reccomend the sonic toothbrush. My 13 yo ds has one. It is expensive, but worth it. He has always brushed his teeth, morning and night, and I had even started buying a prescription toothpaste for him. He was still getting cavities. He also has braces, so it made it even worse to get the cavities filled. To make a long story short, his orthodontist has commented several times about how great his teeth look now. They are much cleaner and no more cavities. And she didn't even know about the sonic toothbrush. Our dentist reccomended it, so the orthodontist didn't even know we had changed anything!

8. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

I'll look into the sonic toothbrush... I liked the sonic cleaning.

What's better, is both of my daughters want to pay for as much of this as possible, since I paid for theirs growing up.

Angie

9. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

I just had a dentist visit a few weeks ago after neglecting my teeth for at least five years. I dreaded it too as I have nightmare memories of dentists from my childhood. Mine went very well too-no pain. Nice!

10. cider

cider Well-Known Member Supporter

Wind in her Hair - why don't you give us all some free advice? :)
    As a dental tech- what do you think we should all be doing to our teeth?
    Rinses? Toothbrush? Floss? Water pic?
    C'mon, give us the inside track!
    Thanks!!!!!

11. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter

I was wondering and going to ask elsewhere...maybe I can get some suggestions here, though...

My husband is getting his teeth done at a dental school in Illinois...going to be a l-o-n-g process. She will be "his" dentist throughout the whole thing. He thinks his student dentist is fantastic (I don't even LIKE dentists and I agree!) so we'd like to get her a little something for Christmas, just to say "We appreciate you".

Frankly, the only things I can think of are toothbrushes and toothpaste...NOT! Anyone have any GOOD ideas?

Mon

12. cider

cider Well-Known Member Supporter

Oops! Well, if you work there in administration I'm betting you totally know what you're talking about!
    Thanks for the advice!!! :)

13. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

I've had regular dental care all of my life.
    My hang-up is the injections that I get when a tooth gets filled.

A couple of years ago, while in the midst of having a particularily difficult tooth filled, the dentist got a bit frustrated about something and threw a small un-professional tantrum-----by flinging my x-rays over his shoulder---and leaving (stomping out of) the room. Leaving me, with all sort of gadgets proping my mouth open, wondering if and when he might come back. :help:

So---when it was time for another filling----------I switched to another dentist.
    The new fellow is YOUNG -- and I was truelly amazed at the difference in technique and attitude.
    Even his procedure of injectioning the novocaine is different. I still get nervous about having it done, but, its not near as traumatic as it use to be.

And, even his hygenist! She is so talkative-------and seems so enthused about her job---------makes me feel as if my teeth are her top priority.

I love my new dentist and his staff!

14. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

This makes a world of difference!!!!!

We love our Dr. Ed. (before he was a doctor he was Mr. Ed.) anyway, I really really hated to go to the Dentist when I was growing up, but I look forward to it now. He's got a great sense of humor, explains procedures very well, encourages questions.

Flossing is SO important, it can't be stressed enough. If you think about it, brushing only covers 60% of your tooth's surface (front & back). There's still 40% of surface between teeth that needs to be cleaned. This is why we floss!!!

15. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Wow Angie. Sounds like you had a really good experience. I'm happy for you. I need to go the the dentist, but I don't have dental insurance right now and no money, so I'll wait it out. The girls are covered though, so they go every 6 months.