Wonder wash portable washing machine. Info.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sancraft, Jun 26, 2006.

1. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever tried the Wonder Wash non-electric portable washing machine? It got great reveiws, but I'd like some feedback from "real" people whose opinions I trust. We're using a wringer washer down at the creek right now, but with the heat index at 105+ several days last week, I'd sure like a way to to wash indoors.

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

3. Calico Katie

Calico Katie Well-Known Member Supporter

They don't hold a lot but the clothes do get really clean. There is no drain hole, though, so you pour your water in and then have to hold the clothes in with one hand while pouring the water out of the tank. The tank is a thick plastic and is pretty durable but it's perched on a plastic stand that doesn't look like it would take a lot of abuse. As long as the stand holds together, I think you could just turn it by hand without a handle if you had to.

The tank is about the size of a 2 gallon jar. Honestly, if you could find a small plastic barrel that could be tightly enclosed, I think you could figure out how to rig one up yourself. It's having the clothes enclosed with the soap and water and being shaken up that seems to do the trick.

I washed some of my DD's scrubs for her - we won't talk about the kinds of things that rub off in a nursing home - and then hung them on the line to dry. I was impressed with how clean they looked.

Since you have your wringer down by the creek, I'm guessing that you would have to haul the water up to your cabin anyway. Don't know if it would be worth it since you would be doing such small loads and hauling all that water.

4. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

I picked up one at a thrift shop a couple of years ago for $5. It is great for doing just a few things at a time. The handle was broken on the one I got, but you can still turn the drum around manually without a handle. One of these days I'll figure a way to replace it.

I wouldn't want to do all my laundry this way, it would take forever. Personally I would opt for a washtub, scrub board and rinse tub if I were wanting to do the laundry inside rather than outside by the creek.

donsgal

5. WildernesFamily

WildernesFamily Milk Maid

We have this one: http://www.laundry-alternative.com/ except it says "Super Wash" on the side, and not Wonder Wash, other than that it's identical.

I use it to wash my potty training son's underwear and other small laundry loads. Works really well. It will take a up to a 5lb. load. So far it's withstood the abuse by my 5 kids who all have to have turns spinning it. If they go faster than they are supposed to (picture a 7 year old boy who just "has" to see how fast he can spin it!) then it can jump off the holder on the side without the handle on, but easily goes back in place.

Mine has a drain spout on, but to be honest it drains so slowly it's easier just not to use it and just pour the water out through the top. Unless the items are really really badly soiled they come out very clean.

I don't know how this would work for you if you use this as your main washing machine. For our small loads and for RV'ing use it works really great. It uses very little water and very little detergent.

HTH :)

~ Jane

6. halfpint

halfpint Well-Known Member Supporter

I had one for camping, didn't really like it very much as it didn't hold much and was difficult to get water out of. After you dump the water, you will still have to wring items out. I generally only used it for underwear and my young children's small shirts. Now that mine is broken (fell off a shelf in the garage and shattered), I just hand wash items.
    Dawn

7. Taffy

Taffy Member

8. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

I had one and I sold it on ebay. I did not like it. Dh does alot of work outside and his clothes just did not come clean in that. It's ok if you are just wearing clothes that don't get dirty.

I like washing by hand with a plunger and muck bucket much better.

katlupe