Women Homesteaders - see this site!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sidepasser, Nov 20, 2003.

1. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

Hi,

I see so many people here asking if they can homestead or if they should homestead or how hard it is, etc.

go here: http://www.lib.ndsu.nodak.edu/ndirs/exhibitions/pioneer/name/panel1.htm

to see some of the early homesteading women bios, and pictures - at the end of each page there is a continue exhibit button which will allow you to go to the next bio.

Very impressive what these ladies did on their own - next time I get down and out thinking about how much work I have, I'll reflect back on what these ladies had to endure and be thankful for what I have.

Best to all,
    Sidepasser

thought I put the url in wrong..goofy me! This is the home page url.
    http://www.lib.ndsu.nodak.edu/ndirs/exhibitions/pioneer/name/default.htm

2. harmony

harmony Well-Known Member

Wow, sidepasser! Great link, thanks!!! Those women were tough, and a (mostly) good example for us.

3. Marchwind

Marchwind Fiber Arts forum Mod. Supporter

Southwest Michigan by way of the Northwoods of MN
    What a wonderful link and such great stories! Thank you it is inspiration!

4. Lynn Goltz

Lynn Goltz Guest

Thanks for this great site. My Grandparents homesteaded in Western North Dakota about 1912. Grandma had a wonderful memory, she was full blooded Norwegian, and I remember many stories from her early years. Yes, she worked very hard right along side her husband while also tending children at the side of the fields. Her toughness prevailed, born in 1896, died in 2002 she lived in three centuries being active and with a excellent memory right up to the end

5. MOJILL

MOJILL Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link.

But now I feel fat and lazy. I need to go buy me a horse and plow today!

:)

6. doohap

doohap Another American Patriot

Thank you for this link! I've passed it on to others I know will enjoy!

Peace and smiles,
    doohap

7. Calico Katie

Calico Katie Well-Known Member Supporter

What a wonderful site! I love to collect stories about these women. Makes me feel downright wimpish to read about how hard they worked and how much they accomplished.

8. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

Hi,

So glad everyone liked the site - it is really inspiring to see what people could do and can do if they are motivated enough.

BTW - I got a horse and she will plow, but I don't tell her that! But did spend last Saturday logging trees all day - boy was I sore Sunday! I still like using my horse and mule better than the tractor - the tractor is loud and noisy and you can't hear the birds or anything else much. I talk to my horse, Molly, and she listens and flicks her ears back and forth, and we just get into a sort of dialogue and the work days just fly by.

Sure think I was born in the wrong era though - but I do like some of the modern things we take for granted, like dish soap. Not something very fancy but if you had to make it from lard - you'd sure be grateful to have it!

Got to run for now -
    Keep inspired!
    Sidepasser
    owned by Pumpkin the wonder mule