Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A 35-year-old librarian was fatally shot on Saturday after she returned home from a hit and run crash and pointed a firearm at the person she allegedly hit with her car.

On Saturday, Sara Nicole Morales allegedly intentionally hit Andrew Derr, a 40-year-old motorcyclist, with a blue Kia that she was driving and then fled the scene, according to the Orange City, Florida, Police Department. The motorcyclists and other witnesses attempted to get Morales to pull over and followed her to her home, where she went inside and re-emerged with a handgun, which police said she pointed at Derr.

Derr, a concealed weapons permit holder, fired multiple rounds, striking Morales, according to police. Morales was still breathing after the shooting and was transported to Halifax hospital. However, she succumbed to her injuries and was pronounced dead shortly after arriving.

Before shots were fired, Morales yelled at the people who were outside her home that they were "three men" and "you followed me," according to a 911 call WESH published. Several shots are then heard being fired and the 911 operator asked, "What's that?"

The caller told the 911 operator that "a lady is shot" and that the "dude that got hit on the bike" was the one who shot her. When asked why he shot her, the caller said, "because she pulled a gun out on him."

Woman Shot, Killed After Aiming Gun at Biker She Intentionally Hit With Her Car: Police

·
Registered
68 Posts
Play stupid games... win stupid prizes.

If you have reached the point that you feel the need to use a gun, dont brandish it, dont threaten with it, and dont fire warning shots... just shoot whatever needs shot.
Having said that, it sounds like she was on the wrong end of it to begin with and made multiple bad decisions.

·
Registered
18,338 Posts
This could have been avoided. The biker should have called the police and got the license if the car. Follow her home from a safe distance instead of up in her grill the whole way. I get that he was mad as hell for being hit but road rage is not the answer.

Now he will probably go to prison.

So yes, both were playing stupid games.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the same thing had happened at the crash scene, I would say that the biker was in the right, but, he followed her to her house. Not cool.
As one whose life was forever altered by being hit by a hit and run driver while I was on a motorcycle, (Lost my right leg above the knee, had my right arm crushed and a punctured lung,) I don't blame the guy for following her and trying to stop her from fleeing the scene after she intentionally hit him.

If I could have, I too would have tried to stop the jerk the hit me.

There is no mention of the biker threatening the woman, however, there is mention of her pulling a gun on someone who just so happened to be armed himself.

Stupid is as stupid does. She intentionally hit him with her vehicle, fled the scene and introduced a deadly weapon to the mix.

It's no surprise to me that he followed her. I'm sorry that she was pregnant, however, she is a prime candidate for a Darwin award.

Reactions: muleskinner2

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
As one whose life was forever altered by being hit by a hit and run driver while I was on a motorcycle, (Lost my right leg above the knee, had my right arm crushed and a punctured lung,) I don't blame the guy for following her and trying to stop her from fleeing the scene after she intentionally hit him.

There is no mention of the biker threatening the woman, however, there is mention of her pulling a gun on someone who just so happened to be armed himself.

Stupid is as stupid does. She intentionally hit him with her vehicle, fled the scene and introduced a deadly weapon to the mix.

It's no surprise to me that he followed her. I'm sorry that she was pregnant, however, she is a prime candidate for a Darwin award.
That’s a potentially unfair rush to judgement. Why did she “intentionally” hit the biker? Was she just stupid and unhinged, or had the bikers boxed her in in an attempted car jacking? We don’t know anything more than that the bikers say she “intentionally” hit one of them, and the reason for that is the pivotal detail.

·
Marked safe from the TP famine of 2020.
20,718 Posts

Well, she should have gone in her house and locked the door, not go in get a gun and come back out. It is a mess, and I too understand why the biker followed her home, but, what was the plan once he got to her home? Keep an eye on her until the cops arrived? Take her out and hang her from the nearest tree?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, she should have gone in her house and locked the door, not go in get a gun and come back out. It is a mess, and I too understand why the biker followed her home, but, what was the plan once he got to her home? Keep an eye on her until the cops arrived? Take her out and hang her from the nearest tree?
It's one of those we'll never really know questions. She was safely at home and rather than arm herself, lock the door and call the police she chose to exit the house with said firearm.

Bad decision.

Reactions: Alice In TX/MO

·
Unapologetically me
21,485 Posts
They followed her home, that's the key.
I'm pretty sure you aren't allowed to hunt someone down and shoot them no matter what.
If she deliberately hit him, we may never know, all we have is his word and she can't tell her side.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Sometimes people just do stupid stuff. I have nearly hit bikes simply because they are hard to see. The mirror on a truck will sometimes block your view, and you won't see them. Stuff happens. Turning it into a gun fight is never a good idea.

Get the license if you can. Never, never follow somebody to their house and confront them.

·
Registered
36,826 Posts
Sometimes people just do stupid stuff. I have nearly hit bikes simply because they are hard to see. The mirror on a truck will sometimes block your view, and you won't see them. Stuff happens. Turning it into a gun fight is never a good idea.

Get the license if you can. Never, never follow somebody to their house and confront them.
Many studies have shown that an auto driver can look directly at a motorcycle and not see them because a driver's brain is only looking for something as big, or bigger than a car.

Wheel Tire Product Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1 - 20 of 22 Posts