Wolves across the river

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Lisa in WA, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

We haven't gotten much sleep the past few nights because we have a wolf pack in the area (across the river)and they've been "singing" at night, causing the Pyrenees to bark all night long. Good thing we don't have any close neighbors. I just hope the dogs don't tangle with the wolves.
    I love to hear them but I hope they don't get any ideas about lamb dinners.

2. JasoninMN

JasoninMN Well-Known Member Supporter

If you have a pack of pyrenese you should be ok, a single or a pair is not going to be affective.

3. mayfair

mayfair a yard full of chickens

It must be incredible to hear them. Most of us have never heard the voices of wolves in the wild. Be safe!

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

I bought some dew worms (night crawlers) from an older lady on a back road in Ontario north east of the Soo. They lived in an older farm house. It had barb wire nailed across the windows about every 6 inches apart. She said the wolves came up and looked in the window at night and growled at their little house dog. I think I would have left the window up enough for a rifle slug to go under the glass.
    She charged me a dollar for a dozen worms in a little cottage cheese box. I left them in the truck bed that night and had only a set of racoon teeth marks in the morning.

5. J_Black_Horse

J_Black_Horse Active Member

On the reservation we put up electric fences to keep the stock safe.
    One wire 5 inches from the ground fro wolves and bear (3inches if the problem is coyotes or dogs), second wire 1 foot high from the ground, third wire 2 feet high and so forth from the ground and up to 7 feet high. It takes a lot of wires and insulators, but it keeps them away from the stock.

We never had problems during the day time, only at night. We shut the stock up into smaller areas with the electric wires at night and turned them out with the dogs during the day time. Never lost any.

If you have wooden posts in the fences, take used motor oil and a large paint brush. Paint the used motor oil on the posts and it keeps away most wild animals that will kill your sheep. It also keeps the bugs from eating up the wood posts.

6. Horselover

Horselover Joyce

I have never been around anywhere where there are Wolves, but I just have a feeling that that "howling" can give you an eerie feeling and I know I would not be sleeping at all. If you have sheep I would be scared to piece they would get them. I hope your dogs can fight them off if need be.
    This is such an interesting web site-just to see postings like yours. I certainly hope you all will be all right.

7. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I only hear coyotes at night but I enjoy them now that I have no goats. Been thinking lately I should have moved further north and further away to enjoy wolves at night. Yes, I said "enjoy." This summer has been a real scorcher and without medical proof, I think I've had at least a couple of instances of heat exhaustion just trying to stay cool in 100 plus heat. Though I nearly froze my butt off last winter, this winter the house will be insulated and I'm looking forward to it... perhaps as I get older, I'll reconcile with cold weather and take an additional move into the northern woods and into the last U.S. wilderness.

8. Lisa in WA

I'd love to have you as my neighbor in north Idaho, Tango! Though it can get hot...the humidity is nothing.

9. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

And I'd love to have you as a neighbor though I might become a nuisance picking your brain all the time :) How hot does it get there Lisa? In Florida and here in TN, we get stuck in mid 90's to 100 with a heat index of low 100's for most of July an August. IN Florida the daily afternoon stroms helped a great deal but in TN the nights drop into the upper 60's and help in that regard. But it has been mighty tough and I was looking for southern climate when I moved. :)

10. Lisa in WA

It can get hot..we had one day this summer at 100 degrees but it really doesn't last long (though you wouldn't know it to hear me whining). The low humidity makes a tremendous difference. We also don't get the prolonged really cold spells that other Canadian border states do. The maritime climate seems to temper things for us a bit. We get (since we've been here) a good really cold snap once most winters when we run the generator all night to power heat tapes and keep the batteries warm.
    I love the climate here. After having lived in Atlanta, Phoenix, Boston, Philadelphia, Indianapolis and Cincinnati...this place is by far the best temperature wise for me.

11. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Thanks for the information Lisa. If we get a real estate boom here maybe I'll traipse up there with my cows n horses n pigs n dogs n chickens, n guineas, n one duck :) hard to find a place anymore where the wolves and the bear roam. Would need a big secure barn for my "children." :)

12. jehehmeyer

jehehmeyer Longing for home!

Talking about eerie night sounds that keep you awake.... I was camping in Africa last month. Every night we fell asleep to the happy sounds of lions roaring. The absolute worst, however, was hearing the lions crushing zebra bones a few hundred yards away. Every hair was on end and it took a while to fall asleep. Yikes!

13. paulaswolfpack

paulaswolfpack Well-Known Member

Is that the protected pack they moved from the sawthooth mt area called the sawthooth pack?

14. Lisa in WA

No, that must be farther south in Idaho. Though they are protected here too. Wolves south of I-90 are under state management, north of I-90, tehy are protected by the federal government.