Woe- Please Advise on This

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Tango, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Karma is going into heat. I just did an archive search for my last post when she was raising her tail and showed signs of unease by standing and lying down. At the time I was certain she was bred. It was three weeks ago. I dried her off in May :(

This means that she did not take when she was Ai'd back at the dairy. She did not take with my Angus bull and she did not take with my neighbor's Angus bull for the three months she was on his pasture with her two adopted heifer calves.

My vet is coming this afternoon to palpate her but I am certain what I am seeing is heat. What can be wrong? Please help me so I make this farm call worth the time and expense. What might be causing the infertility? Am I doomed to a sterile cow?Is there anything I can check for or do? My vet is a good cow vet but this is beef country. Dunno if he has much experience with Jerseys other than with mine.

I'd also like to know what if anything can be discussed with the dairy I purchased her from. I just spoke to them two weeks ago about a heifer calf and he indicated cautiously that the springers he purchased, of which mine was part of, all had problems because they were "too young." I paid $1200 for her in milk. I said nothing when she turned out not to be bred. I don't blame them but this is a setback now. Is it just another stroke of bad luck for me? Thanks in advance.

2. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

If Vet works with beef cows he should be competent regarding dairy cow repro as well. Would hold till he does a thorough exam and makes determination. She could be PG, as some cows show heat even after bred. If Open, ask him to check for Cystic Ovaries, give you a determination if she is normal and breedable in his judgement...go from there good luck.

3. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Thank you Up North. I called them back this morning and indicated that she might be in heat so I was ready to pursue any available option if she was not bred. I hope he comes ready to take initiative with me.

4. Patt

Patt Well-Known Member

What mineral do you use Tango? This may sound crazy but we had problems getting our Dexter bred for a year on standard feed store minerals. We put her on Vigortone Breeds best and she was bred in 2 months after a year open. Just a thought. :)

5. floramum

floramum Well-Known Member

patt- did she have a bull or heifer calf from that mineral?

6. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I was a nervous wreck this morning. I had convinced myself she was open. I was tracking her pregnancy from the time she bred my bull but she may not have taken right away. She may have taken in December through March The vet says she is 4-5 months bred. I know he isn't entirely sure though. He said she has a very small pelvis and he couldn't feel all the way in but that he felt a hoof and leg. I think my vet has gained about 20 pounds since I last saw him and he was a big man before. His arm is a considerable size and Karma is weighing a mere 823 by tape. She is a small cow. At any rate he is a kind vet and he's been very considerate with me. Says he's never palpated a cow held on a lead before. :) Good cow, methinks.

7. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I use a Big 6 Mineral Block. Havent heard of Vigortine,not much variation in minerals here. I tried loose but it would get rained on and she wouldn't take it after that. Perhaps some day I'll buy one of those mineral feeders so it stays dry.

8. Patt

Patt Well-Known Member

She Had A Heifer Calf. :)

9. Patt

Patt Well-Known Member

I'm so glad she's bred Tango! :)

10. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Good cow, good vet, good news! ....Cheers.