Wobbly Buckling

Discussion in 'Goats' started by chma4, Apr 18, 2005.

1. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

I had a buckling born yesterday, he was HUGE and I beleive way late. It seems as though he could have been at least a week or 2 late. Thankfully I bred large breed female to small breed male and delivery was smooth. But now he seems to have "wobbly feet" He kind of doesnt walk on the bottoms of his hooves, it looks like he is walking on the out side of the hoof. Should I do anything (like popsicle stick him) or do you guys think he will get through it without permanant damage? He is so beautiful and i dont want to have to cull him =(

2. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I had one kid, a Boer doeling, a singleton, born on her due date than was weird in the back legs at first. It almost appeared as if she was "double-jointed" which really doesn't exist, but that is the best way to describe it. It was the back two legs only at the main leg joints. She weighed nine pounds at birth to a first freshener. All my kids weighed nine pounds average this year, but this one was the only single and the only one with any sort of problem. I was worried because it was the only kid from this new buck that I had. However, she straightened out rather quickly and at one week weighed 14 pounds. She is completely fine. All I can figure is that is perhaps a selenium or copper deficiency problem even though I do provide propper "goat" (not "sheep and goat") free choice minerals. I do have a bad habit of not quickly replacing the minerals when they are dumped over, soiled, dampened or otherwise ruined somehow. It is something I need to work on. I had a calf born that had her two back feet knuckled under and we had to carry her home from the far pasture in the back of the pickup as she was unable to walk. I massaged her back ankles several times a day working them into place and was so worried I would have to cull her. I was not sure what the cause was. Again with her, she straightened out in a week or so and now is a fine 2 1/2 year old heifer. Our cattle have never shown any of these types of problems before. I use standard red mineral blocks for my cows, not white or yellow blocks. I guess I got off the subject of goats, but I am thinking it may be nutritional. I had a horse filly born 8 years ago who had her front two feet at an odd angle and the vet said it was positional from malplacement in the uterus. They too straightened out. I would give the little goat a bit of time and see what happens. Some folks give Bo-Se shots or something. I guess that's something I should investigate. I am still learning. Good luck with your little one....Diane

3. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

I am not in a selenium defficient area, I live in NJ. And I do make sure that they have mineral blocks and Dairy sweet grain while pregnant and nursing. I do beleive it was from bad positioning in the womb. Also like i said , he was born late. He (only 24 hours) is the size of my others that are 3 weeks old. Tonight I went to the barn and he was attempting to frolic with the other kids, but those sad little wobbly front hooves made him do a face plant. I had heard of some folks that tape on popsicle sticks to straighten them out, but I dont know how severe it should be before I interfere. I like to try to be hands off, but cautious. Thanks for the advice. I sure hope he straightens up.

4. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

ive had the same happen when i bought a bred doe from a supposedly reputable breeder,
    we named her jelly, after her jelly legs, she was so bad we sticked her for aweek, then on and off cycles finally she was abt 2 weeks old and did just fine, i still have a picture of her as a 3 month old doeling climbed about 6 feet up in the tree in her pasture :D yeah jelly was a goodl ittle goat, i hope the guy who bought her got good beefy kids out of her she was a very pretty boer doeling

5. rhjacobi

rhjacobi Well-Known Member

Hi chma4,

This may be from positioning or it could be just from his size. He could be genetically big rather than late. I'm not at home to check my notes, but certain vitamin injections are helpful in many cases for development. It would probably be worth a consult with your vet and possible pick up a vitamin injection from him.

Bob
    Lynchburg, TN.

6. BlessedMom

BlessedMom Well-Known Member

I called the vet regarding out buckling born yesterday. He is very wobbly too.
    In fact, he's pretty much standing..kinda...and staggering. LOL!
    Our vet suggested BoSe which I will pick up in the morning.
    Other than that, just make sure they are getting enough milk and start cuddling!
    :)