Witching/Dowsing for water

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by nappy, Aug 26, 2004.

1. nappy

nappy Well-Known Member Supporter

Does anyone do this, have opinions on the process, or can explain how it works? We had someone do witching with metal clothes hangers before the well driller started. The dowser found water about 100' from the house and with a hand saw counted out the bounces for a depth of 115'. The well driller does not believe in it so drilled about 15' from old well near the house trying to pick up that vein. Well, this well does not have sufficient water for everyday needs...has run out, then filled again....has enough water for flushing toilets, maybe one high water use per day (shower or washer). I don't believe the driller knows where to go from here. He is expected to come back sometime this week to redrill the well. I hesitate to mention where water was located by the dowser especially if water is not found there!

Nappy

2. Bob in WI

Bob in WI Well-Known Member

!

Don't tell the driller, just tell him to drill wherever the dowser found water.

I have a friend on a mountain in Montana who got a dowser to find water for him. It was 80 ft from the house and 110 ft deep, but he has 15 gallons/min flow. If he had not told me this story I would never have believed it. He is a very reliable individual.

I have never used a dowser, but after this actual event, which I witnessed, and was relayed by my friend I now believe in them.

3. Nappy,

Dowsing may or may not make sense, depending on where you live. However, we have had threads about dowsing in the forum before and you are sure to get lots of positive response here.

The reason I say that it may or may not make sense is that some areas have a pretty-much flat water table, meaning that water can be found anywhere in that area. The drilling game in those areas would be to avoid buried boulders, since water is actually present everywhere in those areas. Still, I know a registered geologist who lives in such an area but he still swears by his own dowsing skills. I guess it doesn't hurt to try everything before the rig spuds-in!

On the other hand, areas where water flows in veins (in limestone caverns around Kansas for example) may have water under one location and not under a location 10 feet away. In those areas dowsing at least makes sense.

Actually I am a little suprised in your drilling contractor for not taking your advice. Locating water is such a hit-or-miss business I would think he would be happy to drill where you suggested, of only to shift responsibility for a dry hole away from himself.

4. WillowWisp

WillowWisp Well-Known Member

I am skeptical about a lot of things...but I do believe in dowsing.
    My dad knows how to dowse and even though I have never seen him do it, he actually has been asked by people to come dowse for wells back in Michigan, and he has always been right on. He dowsed for the well where he still lives back in 1982 and it is still flowing. He also dowsed for my uncle's well. He used a Y formed stick as far as I know.
    Personally, I don't get how this is done...but think it is pretty darn amazing.

Take care
    Michelle

5. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

I dowsed for our well and the well driller said fine and drilled there. My neighbor dowsed a new well for the city park and was right on. Most good well drillers have no problem with dowsers finding water sites. They know it works and they have nothing to lose by drilling where a dowser found water.

6. jerneeon

jerneeon Well-Known Member

So how do you do it and how does it work?

7. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Go to the archives, water catagory, major info there.

8. goatlady

As to how it works I have no idea. I just hold my L-shaped rods straight out in front of me and start walking - the rods will swing towards each other and when they cross the water is right below the point they cross at. I than can use my pendulum to ascertain how deep the water is and what the flow is. My personal well was only 3 gal/min for 4 years so I dowsed all around it and found another stream of water flow within 5 feet of the existing well, used rebar and a hammer and kicked the new flow into the existing well and upped the well output to 8 gal per minute which has held for the last 9 years. It still amazes me when it works.

9. ozarkmtmama

ozarkmtmama Active Member

When we were considering drilling a well, we wanted to do our homework first, so dh called a driller to get an idea of how much $$$. He said we needed to get someone to dowse to find the water before he would come out to drill. We haven't pursued the well idea yet for lack of funds, but we read instructions on dowsing, and tried it ourselves just for fun, and it does seem to work. When I "hit water", it bends the stick in my hand downward, and feel like a magnet's pull. If you try it use a peach or willow stick, fork-shaped. I can also find metal objects with two small copper rods, bent into an "L" shape.

10. januaries

januaries Well-Known Member

11. MaKettle

MaKettle Well-Known Member

My grandad dowsed--he was so accurate that people from all over the area would come ask him to locate water. His favorite tool was a Y shaped fork from wild sunflower. He could never wear a watch--a watch would run for about an hour and just stop. This was before battery watches. Don't know if the dowsing and watch stopping were related.

12. Timedess

Timedess Guest

well... *i* don't know much either... friends have kinda passed dowsing off as a form of 'witchcraft' (i don't mean to offend anyone here, so please noone take it as such). when i read that link you posyted to my dh, who is an electrician (of sorts- not 'papered' but he knows his stuff), he said it makes sense. so, dowse away! seems it'd be good to know which hand was what polarity, tho. :p

in Him,
    Timedess

13. niobrara

niobrara New Member

There's people who can dowse (+) and those who can't (-). My ex wife could dowse but when I touched her, her dowse powers faded. I guess I am an - and she was an + and I could cancel her power by touch. Anyone else experienced this positive-negative effect?

b

14. Timedess

Timedess Guest

HUUUUNNNNNHHHHHH!!!!!!! gee! i wonder if that has anything to do with my poor dh getting shocked when he touches me? happens often in places like sam's club.... don't think it ever happens at home... wonder what's up with that? :confused:

in Him,
    Timedess

15. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

My PawPaw used a forked willow branch to dowse for water. He couldn't wear a watch either. Neither can I. A watch will work for less than an hour, wind up or battery, clock face or digital. I barely can wear a wedding band. No other metal jewelry is tolerated. Maybe I should try to dowse for water.

16. Ovibos

Ovibos Member

I can only say I have seen it done. We were looking for a "lost" waterpipe on the job. Lost the schematics and we only knew that it was in the general area 75 by 75 yard or so. One of my co-workers claime to know how to dows and he did, finding the pipe in minutes.

17. Marcee

Marcee Active Member

a friend had a well digger who claimed he could hit water. the digger missed two or three times....on 10 acres, 4 of which was a lake. my friend, who has the intuitive gene, got sick of all the misses, had never dowsed before, tried it himself, and found the water. it was a great well.

18. nappy

I have to admit that I tried the dowsing also. Skeptic that I am, I didn't know I could do this. I have found a couple more sites, some pull more than others. I assume that these places with less pull might mean less water? The well driller has not come back yet as we still have some water though not enough. He WILL come back to redo the well! Too much invested in a poor well.

Another question that may or may not have something to do with the "power". I've had problems with my cell phones. I have had 3 replaced compared to dh having the original one. They heat up after about 10 minutes (hot on my ears) and/or have problems with lost signals or shut off automatically. Dh does not have the "power" of dowsing or cell phone problems. Am I just grasping at straws or could this be a common "phenomenon"? The dowser we had does not use a cell phone either.

Thanks for all the replies.

Nappy

19. goatlady

nappy it's the electromagnetics working. My neighbor who dowses cannot wear a wristwatch as they stop working in a very short period of time even the windups. I get "shocked" even from water not to mention trying to pet the cats and dog or even open the car door or turn on the lights. Always a trade off somewhere.

20. nappy

Goatlady, you've got me thinking. I receive "shocks" on items that don't shock others. Electrical switchplates or anything electrical. While getting physical therapy on my shoulder tendonitis, the electrical stimulation (on the lowest setting) caused my whole body to jump. Seemed to me like an extreme reaction. I could not even tolerate the goop they put on to enhance treatment. After 15 treatments with no relief from pain, the therapists decided enough already. After 6 months it got better on its own. I am very sensitive to odors, noises, light, and medications as well. Guess I'm just a "sensitive" person. Could it be a relationship to the dowsing? Hmmmm....I guess I'll never know for sure.

Nappy