Wise men enlist myrrh to defeat slugs

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Nan(TX), May 6, 2005.

1. Nan(TX)

Nan(TX) Well-Known Member

<snip>
    The Myrrh Slug Barrier uses myrrh imported from Africa to deter slugs and snails from eating plants and flowers. Together with gold and frankincense, myrrh was brought as gifts for the baby Jesus. Now it forms the main ingredient of non-toxic granules that are kind to pets.
    <snip>
    "We are mainly using myrrh which has many medicinal properties and has been used since biblical times for health reasons and to ward off evil spirits," he said. "Myrrh contains an essential oil that discourages slugs and snails from invading areas where plants are growing."
    For more...
    http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100...n-enlist-myrrh-to-defeat-slugs-name_page.html

2. babetteq

babetteq Well-Known Member

I use coffee grounds. Works like a hot d*mn and they're free. I didn't have one slug in my garden last year and I live in a rain forest.

babs

3. TennOC

TennOC Member

I never conciously made the connection before- between slugs and evil spirits, that is. I guess that's a pretty good comparison tho, lol.

4. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Myrhh is a bit pricey to spend on slugs. But we use a tincture in alcohol for cuts, scrapes, wounds, mouthwash (well diluted), and pain relief of ulcers, wounds etc. Excellent for those purposes.

5. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

What about good snails?

I have decolete snails, and while they aren't helping yet control the population of the bad snails, how does all this work for them or against??

How would coffee affect them?