Wisconsin new rule for manure....

Discussion in 'Home Gardens, Market Gardens, and Commercial Crops' started by hunter63, Dec 6, 2017.

1. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

After much testing and discussion...It had been determined that manure has poop in it.

Today's paper ran an article dealing with manure spreading on shallow soil ....depth to bedrock.
    Quote>
    After years of complaints about manure spreading and its potential to harm drinking water, state officials are advancing first-ever rules to limit animal waste on vulnerable soils of eastern Wisconsin.< quote.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news...er-rules-limiting-manure-spreading/464819001/

Be careful out there....there are regulations on composting as well...

2. haypoint

haypoint Well-Known Member Supporter

A few years ago, Michigan's DNR had a lot of dead fish to dispose of and a big fish possessing facility had lots of waste. They offered it to a organic farmer, tons and tons. When he ran out of acreage to plow it in, he dug pits ant piled it up, compost, I guess. Anyway it presented a groundwater hazard.
    A few years ago, Michigan had a number of mega-dairies come on line. Generally they have over 3000 cows and very little land. They get contracts for daily delivery of feed and contracts for accepting manure. When possible, the manure is pumped, otherwise, trucks with manure tanks are used. Sometimes it is knifed in, but they put a lot of manure per acre.
    Many local municipalities have manure trucks that take human waste, the solids from the sewer, and knife it into farm fields.
    One person agreed (signed contract) to take liquid waste from a big dairy. He was surprised when his field got tens of thousands of gallons of water and pipe cleaning solution from the milk room, killing all the soil bacteria.
    The "my land, I can do what I want on it" folks might not like any new regulations.

3. hunter63

You are right......
    I want the government to take care of me....

4. haypoint

Big Ag and Big Business would love to have the government off their backs. But I doubt you'd like the results.

hunter63 likes this.
  5. hunter63

I disagree.....but that is just my opinion.

Friend once said.....
    "so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?"

dmm1976 likes this.
  6. haypoint

Big Ag and Big Business would love to have the government off their backs. But I doubt you'd like the results.
    Which part don't you agree with? You think Big Ag and Big Business would not like government off their backs or do you think unregulated Ag and unregulated business you'd like?
    There are areas near Niagara where sedimentary limestone rock has separations that allow the liquids from septic drain fields to run for miles into drinking water wells. Sounds like Wisconsin is finding the same thing in some Ag land.
    Michigan has a "Right to Farm Act". It details common agriculture practices. If you are doing normal, commonly accepted agricultural practices, it protects you from nuisance lawsuits. But it also requires farmers to incorporate manure within 24 hours of spreading it on a field. This reduces runoff and smell complaints.
    Funny when people oppose oil exploration in wilderness areas, but want the right to pollute the neighbor's well with their cattle manure. I guess their view on the environmental protection is flexible.

dmm1976 likes this.
  7. hunter63

We need more regulations?
    That solves problems?

8. haypoint

50 years ago, Wolverine Worldwide, makers of Hush Puppy shoes, headquartered north of Grand Rapids, dumped barrels that had Scotch Guard in them. They took them into the country and dumped them in ravines along with tons of pig leather. There were no rules or regulations at the time of the dumping. Today, numerous wells in this highly populated area tested 1000 times over the EPA limit for this compound.
    This corporation cannot be held responsible for this pollution or the people that have died of liver cancer. There wasn't any regulation at that time.

LAFarm likes this.
  9. hunter63

So, am I to understand your position is that more regulations will solve all the problems?

My position is....Inforce the rules you have, new laws are not the answer.
    All the anecdotal examples can go on forever as can your quotes....
    That's not solving anything.

10. mmoetc

mmoetc Well-Known Member

More regulations will never solve all the problems. Regulations specifically drafted and targeted can cut down on problems. These regulations seem to target a specific problem in a specific locale. Will that stop all the problems with contaminated wells? Probably not. But perfection isn’t required to make such things prudent.

11. haypoint

12. hunter63

What the heck does that have to do with it.......Now you are just making things up.....

I thought I had clarified my position and opinion....We disagree...

Perhaps we should review?
    Quote from post #9
    My position is....Inforce the rules you have, new laws are not the answer.
    All the anecdotal examples can go on forever as can your quotes....
    That's not solving anything.
    <Quote

The OP is was a FYI post...Sorry you disagree....

13. haypoint

I get that you don't like regulations, if we had no laws, there'd be no criminals. Right?
    So, Calf made a regulation to create more humane treatment for hens. More regulations. Bad, right? So, when a dozen states seek to have those new regulations nullified, less regulation, good?

Thanks for the public service announcement.

14. hunter63

Now you are just being a **** and making things up....
    Have a nice day.

15. hunter63

This is the original post guess you missed this put and just want on an attack.