Wisconsin Home stead

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by wishomesteader, Jun 19, 2006.

1. wishomesteader

wishomesteader Well-Known Member

Dear Friends,

I know this has been an issue before with most, we have 10 acres of land in Northern Wisconsin. There are many families out there looking to homestead, but not the means to do so. We just got lucky on our land deal from a kind man with small town values. We came from a town around 6000 to a town of 180, most are Amish or Mennonite. Great town, small school, etc. We do not have the finances to build a homestead dream and that leaves acreage open. We asked the farmer across the street to use it at no cost for his benefit, I believe he planted oats or soy beans. Well, I would like to extend an invitation to a person/persons to come and live on this land with us to homestead. this would require you getting a shelter to live in...you can build or do like we did, a mobile home. We are not rich or out to take anyone for what they have. It would be nice to form a friendship with the same goals and ideas and work together to get them. While they occupy this land, they can have their animals, garden, etc. Yes, I know there are many details to work out, and discussions would need to take place to work out all little details to avoid future conflict. If you are not interested, just move on to the next thread, if this is something that you think you may have interest, please feel to ask questions, i can't guarantee the exact perfect answer because I may not know it, but I will do my best. We are not looking for numerious families...not a village, just one family to work side by side with in this venture.

2. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Not to highjack your thread, but I would love to do the same thing on my 20 acres in GA. It would really be nice to have a like minded friend close by.

3. QBVII

QBVII Well-Known Member

Geeze, why can't there be anybody in Kentucky who wants to do this?

:Bawling:

4. staceyfb

staceyfb Well-Known Member

This is exactly what I would be looking for if you were in Central WI. The wife would not go for moving away from her town. Man the more I thnk aout it this is perect for me and me alone. But als I digress I cannot leave the fmaily to do s lefish thing like live off the land as much as I could.
    I wish you luck in finding the right person/family to help you in the adventure I am sure it will be an awesome venture.

5. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Geeze why can't there be anybody in Arkansas who wants to do this. LOL hang on QBV11 Maybe we can make it happen when I get home.

6. Windy_jem

Windy_jem Well-Known Member Supporter

Man oh man! Why Can't you be in Central WI? I would help you in a heartbeat!
    Good luck in your ventures.....

7. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Perhaps you need an individual forum...homestead matchmaking: individuals needing a place to homestead and a homestead needing such individuals. I'll bet there are matches just waiting to happen in several states.

But it needs to be tweaked a bit: the land-owner should request several references and check them out thoroughly and maybe the homesteading wannabes need to check out the land owner, too. There might also be a questionaire that would help in the elimination process, so you don't have pagans applying to live with zealots, Democrats with Republicans, etc. Could save some time and feelings down the road.

Also, there could be categores (sort of like the want ads "Male seeking female", but instead "Smoking or no smoking allowed, teatotalers vs. party folks, single moms, single dads, and so on.

I've always felt homesteading was perfect for single moms. Maybe several could form a co-op and run the homestead together. That way, the chores would not be overwhelming and you could swap child care, share expenses and be your own support group.

8. wishomesteader

Well we are hoping to have someone, female or male, single or married. We just would like to have a like minded homesteading person/s here. They can live for free on the land...or we can work other things out. It would take some sitting down and ironing out the details. I agree, it is great opportunity for single moms or dads, kids in the country, small school, animals, garden, etc...could be a dream for most folks that can have a happy ending. I once was a single parent, 3 jobs, and not getting any where.

9. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

<<We asked the farmer across the street to use it at no cost for his benefit>>

Just a suggestion, land is valuable, charge someone to farm it in the future.

10. Madame

Madame Well-Known Member Supporter

I've pm'd you. I tried looking your town up - seems there are 3 Hollaways in Wisconsin. I'm intrigued (sp?) by this proposal.

11. wishomesteader

thanks, we just wanted to be neighborly and didn't want it to go to waste, next year, we will do that, found out that the hay we have on our land is alfalfa and very top quality too, we gave over 300 bales away for free if the farmer cut it down. man oh man...

12. wishomesteader

I pm'd you back. thanks. Hope to hear from you soon.

13. Valduare

Valduare Well-Known Member

Build a strawbale house and move out of your moble home.