Wiring wax in frames

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by renee7, Apr 10, 2006.

1. renee7

renee7 Well-Known Member

Oh My, surely there is a easier way, than what I'm doing. I don't remember my Dad having any trouble wiring the wax in. and seems like that he did it quickly.

Of course, I'm just starting on it, and maybe after while, I'll catch on, but is there a certain way to do it?

When I cut the wire, I'm just twisting the ends together. but I'm not getting tight wires. I bought the little Gizmo to hold the wire. That helps a little.

2. ace admirer

ace admirer Well-Known Member Supporter

Are you using electricity to warm the wire and melt it into the wax?

i use to have a frame that bowed the sides of the frames in slightly so that when hand tied, and released the frames sprung back out and tightened the wire. i think some use a crimping wheel that puts little bends in the wire to make it taught,,,i have never used one.

3. renee7

renee7 Well-Known Member

No Ace. I'm just useing a fine wire, that threads thru 4 holes in the sides. I'm not sure that I really heve to use the wire. The wax sheets has wires up and down in it, with hooks at the top. And maybe the wires don't have to be real tight, but it sure looks awfully messy to me.

4. Iddee

Iddee Well-Known Member

I crosswire mine although it already has the vertical wires. You can install the eyelets in the holes or place staples next to the holes to keep the wire from cutting into the wood. I drive two 5/8 inch nails in the end where I start and finish. I run the wire through all 4 holes in each end, wrap the end of the wire around one nail and drive it all the way in. Then I pull the wire tight, two strands at a time, with a pair of pliers, and wrap the wire around the second nail, drive it all the way in, and cut the wire. Although if you have a frame wiring device to bend the frame, as Ace Admirer had, you can get it a little tighter, but the pliers will tighten it sufficiently. Then I embed the wire with an electric embedder and transformer I bought at Walter T. Kelleys.

http://go.netgrab.com/secure/kelleystore/asp/product.asp?product=102