Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry,not sure if this is right place to post this ....
Just today I've been getting weird text messages from numbers in another state ,all different numbers and all the messages are mostly like what are you doing or did you change your number or just acting like they were talking to me and one is a longer one about a tax write off he's saying he's got to get rid of 600 or something to save on taxes and its a bunch of different messages like he was talking to somebody I I figured that one for sure is a scam where they tell you to send some money to get a bunch of money lol but here's the thing.... how did all of sudden my number get out is it possible it got sold somewhere for scams that's why I'm getting all these messages always been like 10 in 12 hours and I have not gotten any before?
Of course I didn't answer any of those texts but I'm just wondering what is happening here and if this is going to keep happening.....

·
Registered
108 Posts
its called war dialing.

start with an area code and a prefix then just increment the last 4 by one and blast away, gotta do it slow tho so as to not trip up the telco's computer system.

easy to accomplish.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its called war dialing.

start with an area code and a prefix then just increment the last 4 by one and blast away, gotta do it slow tho so as to not trip up the telco's computer system.

easy to accomplish.
Well got like 12 now,about 4 different area codes but all michigan.
What r they hoping to accomplish and can i stop it ?
Wouldn't everybody get suspicious getting that many? I would think if you only get one you would maybe answer it thinking somebody you know or something

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They're baiting you.

They're just random dialing, they don't know if your number is an active one or not. If you answer, they'll know for sure it's active and then you'll be added to the informal list of cell numbers for future calls selling something.
Thats what i was thinking and that's why I haven't answered or texted back stop to any of them!
The thing is I don't understand why I'm getting a bunch of them from different numbers all of a sudden???

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh and I'm getting like one every hour now lol and there kind of personal or how to put it, like they're saying' I'm just chillin what are you doing' or the one I just got said 'lol I'll bring it tomorrow where are you at 'so I guess it would make people think it was somebody they were talking( to...
I hope this is going to stop in a day or so after nobody gets an answer !
I turn my phone off when I sleep so its not gonna bother me at night.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yet another reason I don't own a cell phone.
Well I have to say ,i have owned one for 2 yrs now and this is the first time I got anything like this....
I used to get a lot more sales calls and scam type calls on my home phone than I ever did on my cell, and they are handy(lol,that's what they call them in Germany!), especially when you are outside a lot by yourself and I have always ignored calls from numbers I don't know....if its legit ,they can leave a voicemail I always figure!
I don't want to speak too early ,but it seems to have stopped ...so hopefully that was it.
Thanks for the replies....I don't get the last 2 though LOL, duh

1 - 13 of 13 Posts