Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Budding homesteader
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only wire cutters I have right now are made for fine-gauge electrical wire, not the kind of wire needed to make cages. I'm having difficulty finding wire cutters at major home-improvement stores (Lowe's, Home Depot). Do they call them something else? Would bolt-cutters or metal snips be a better choice?

What about the flush-cut wire-cutters from Bass Equipment? Are they any good?

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
You are going to find "diagonal wire cutters" (diags) or "side cutters" are the type of tool most normally used to cut cage wire.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diagonal_pliers

Try to buy a pair about 9 inch long. That gives good leverage for cutting and is still small enough to cut close.

I once had a pair of carpenter's nippers that I used for many years. They were 12 inch long and did a nice clean job. Nippers cut at the end instead from the side.

Normally the diags will cut wire and leave a point on the wire to be dealt with. I have used a metal file to file down the points so I don't get scratched up from the points.

The flush cut wire cutters are diagonal cutters that have been ground down on one side to allow a close square cut, reducing the sharp point problem.

One guy who builds a lot of cages says he buys cheap diags and grinds them himself. As they wear out, he replaces with another cheap pair. He can buy 3 or 4 pair for the price of buying a flush cutter already ground.

I've tried small bolt cutters. Takes two hands to use. Much less effort. Does not cut very close and it leaves a point.

I've used aviation snips. I found it tough to get in close at times. I prefer the diagonals.

I hope this info helps.

Have a good day!
Franco Rios

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
The best wire cutting tool is a grinder. It is quick and leaves no sharp points. I can have twice the cages using one as with snips.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Lineman pliers. I prefer the ones made by Klein Tools. They should be about $18

·
Registered
831 Posts
I buy flush-cut wire cutters at the auto parts store for about $6 each.
Although I have electric wire cutters, these $6 cutters are used for
door and feeder openings.

Linda Welch

1 - 5 of 5 Posts