Wire and Cages

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by jessandcody, Feb 21, 2004.

1. jessandcody

jessandcody Well-Known Member

I've tried looking through the useful rabbit links to find out cheaper ways to buy rabbit wire for cage-making, but I got a little overwhelmed.

The cheapest cages we have found to buy in our area are in the 50-60 dollar range each. Husband knows how to make the cages himself, but we have no idea where to buy the wire, or hardware cloth (aside from Lowe's or Tractor Supply). They only sell small rolls for high prices.

Thanks for any help.

- Jess

2. Denise K.

Denise K. Well-Known Member

The best thing to do is make your own or find a rabbit wire supplier. Rabbit wire is more expensive but will last a long time. Don't use hardware clothe for cages it is rough and will contribute to sore hocks. The rough edges will end up holding moisture and droppings making for dirty cages. Cages are easy to make but can be tough on the hands to cut the wire if you can borrow an electric wire cutter from someone you can easily cut the wire. If there are any rabbit shows in your area (check the American Rabbit Breeders Asssociation website) there will often be vendors their selling cages. I order my cages from a vendor and then pick them up at a show, saves shipping costs. Depending on how you make your cages (size etc.) they will cost you approximately $ 15.00-$ 22.00 per cage. I have also rehabbed several older cages by replacing the floor wire. Remember when building the cages measure twice, Cut once!! :) Depending on where you are located I have had very good business with. LE-AL-DO's Equipment,KW Cages, Damars Cages & Supplies, Kluberantz Cage Supply and Morton Jones Cage supply. Hope this helps.
    Denise

3. Denise K.

Denise K. Well-Known Member

One more thing. It is usually cheaper to order the roll of wire (even with shipping) then to buy the smaller cut rolls at the local feed supply stores (hardware stores) Check the prices.
    Denise

4. mistymanor

mistymanor Member

Hi Jess,

We're getting some rabbits after the first of the month - if you'd like to come visit & we could split a roll of wire, I'm sure something could be worked out. We've got some power tools, as well, and could probably make a day of hutch-building.

Cathi