Winters arrival

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jackie c, Oct 14, 2004.

1. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Well its official (at least in my neck of the woods) its snowing. The new kittens are getting dizzy watching the shower of white flakes. The old dog is indignant, and the puppy's having ball trying to catch them all :haha:

2. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

Is it not wonderful to witness the changing of the seasons? Our weather is only showing signs of Autum. Day temps are high 70* and nites are still well above 40* Our oaks, maples and Hickories are only beginning to change to the yellows, reds and golds, that beckon cool, crisp,lazy days. It will still be months before winter arrives here in NC..Enjoy that first beautiful snow! Debbie

3. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

It didn't snow my way overnight or this morning, but for sure it's a killing frost on the lawn and vegitation. Crisp and clear morning here it's -4C (about 25F).
    The other day when it was about 75 F, the mosquitoes were thick in a few places yet. That's one good thing about cool now is less bugs.

Jackie, have you had a lot of ladybugs around there? They are thick near the doors and windows. It was like this last year if I recall.

4. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

We've had a couple of mornings that the frost has been thick on the ground but no snow yet. However, there's a chance of snow showers on Saturday night. The colors are just awesome this year. The whole hill is bright with yellow, orange, and deep red. This is my favorite time of the year.

Stacy in NY

5. Gypsy

Gypsy Well-Known Member

oh well - it takes winter to make spring I guess, but could you keep it in Canada at least until I get the studs on our car?

6. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    You hold tight to that winter at least until mid november. I need a bit more time to get things tight at my place before you send us any snow. And I had soooo hoped to be in a new house before winter. Looks like one more heating season in this old barn .......SIGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.... :rolleyes: :(

7. creeklady2000

creeklady2000 Well-Known Member

HI from northern lower Mi please keep the snow a little longer I am not quite ready yet I have my wood supply orderd but not paid for and I have the belt bought for the plow truck but cant find any one to put it on :no: but I am thinking positive or trying anyways but I need alittle more time we have had some very heavy frost and even alittle ice on the water tank and itis taking 2 times as long to dry clothes out side so I know we are getting close !~~~

8. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

Yes! it's in the air Stacy :)
    I will try to get out tomorrow and take some pictures of the color and put them on website.

9. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

heres a few photos from last winter to prepare you for this winter!

SW Wisconsin--both pictures are facing Minnesota and the Mississippi River...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is from the same spot as above, just during the summer--what a contrast

[​IMG]