Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there, I have a question about a wintering area. My soil is very sandy, on one part of the property. We have 20 acres, about 8 of it was completely beach sand the remaining is a sandy loam with some great pastures already growing. I plan on working those pastures a bit more to get them in prime shape this season, so that next year we can start brining some animals onto the farm. Of the 8 acres we had A LOT of topsoil brought in that we got from a somewhat nearby subdivision being built. We covered about 4 acres with 12" of top soil, which I plan to seed this year for more pasture. The plan is to have 3 pastures of about 4 acres each to use in rotation in the summer months. I was planning on making the 4 acres of sand into a wintering area. Being in Canada winter is long. Animals would be on hay from October - May. My question is, can I keep them on the same 4 acres for the entire 8 months? I realize the answer would be of course yes but I am referring to more the mud management, manure management, etc. I plan to keep 3 horses and about 12 sheep. I plan to move the feeding station with each new bale of hay, and yes I will use feeding mats. With 4 acres would I be able to leave manure to let nature take its course?

I am debating breaking it into two so I can rotate all winter. Again for manure to fertilize the ground and rot away naturally. I can harrow etc if needed although in winter that won't do much good.

Looking for some guidance on this. Thanks

1 - 2 of 2 Posts