Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brrrrrr! In the 60's a few days ago, in the teens this weekend!

I had just bought a whole bunch of pansies (never can resist a good clearance sale on pansies) and still have a couple shrubs that need to be planted. A fig tree and passion flower vine need to be moved indoors. Other fig tree needs to have mulch piled on it. Mums aren't planted yet. I lost the flowering sages which I wanted to get cuttings from. And it's SNOWING today!

Snow tires are on the van but not the car. Wood supply is sorely lacking (supposed to pick up a load in a few weeks) but I don't have the wood pile spot cleaned off. Insulation project under the house isn't finished! I can't find my gloves. Rain barrel needs to be drained the rest of the way.

But I did get the pansies in pots today while it's snowing.

So admit it, who else isn't ready for winter to rear it's ugly head?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Not at all ready. Especially, this cold, this soon!!

Reactions: BlueRose

·
Premium Member
25,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Grrr, remembered a few more potted plants that I didn't get around to planting that needed to be moved indoors. Got hold of ds and drained the rain barrel (faucet was frozen so it had to be tipped over and laid down to drain out), moved most of the plants indoors, and turned on the heat at the other house.

·
Clinton, Louisiana
1,889 Posts
I am not ready for SUPER COLD, but only for a cool spell. I am ready thought, the wood stove is rolling and I have enough wood for the winter. I have more I can split.

·
Registered
76 Posts
We are getting there, still need to cut more wood hopefully this weekend. It was 40 degrees at 6 pm by 7:30 it was down to 29 and spitting snow. There are never enough hours in my day anymore to get it all done.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I am not ready. Spent Tuesday (holiday, yippee!) putting plywood up for a makeshift coop in the bantam pen, and moving plants into the greenhouse DW and I finally finished on Sunday, so my cacti wouldn't freeze. Then got home yesterday after work to find the house at a balmy 60F because the air handler for the heat pump decided to crap out, then we spent the next 3 hours running extension cords for heated buckets and stock tank heaters for four poultry pens, the dogs' water, and the goat pen water. I hate this weather - what happened to Fall? :grumble::censored::badmood:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Refreshing .......... not

Reactions: BlueRose

·
Country Girl
4,306 Posts
I'm not as ready as I would LIKE to be but ready enough. I had a feeling that it was going to be an early snow a few days ago.....

·
Banned
10,456 Posts
49 degrees Fahrenheit but should get to 31

Rain next monday thru Thursday.

This has happen before in the last 20 years as my son got a sled yet on Christmas morning there was not a flake on the ground......by evening he was sledding. It is rare but nice.

Not gloating as I know what it is like to plan on the normal .....2003 we were in the negative temps by Sept 12th. Pipes froze and we did not have acquit housing.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I managed to get my flower bulbs planted last Sunday, before the temps dropped below freezing. Wanted to break up the soil in the raised beds before they froze - pretty sure it's too late now. Can't do it tomorrow either - we're expecting 3-5" of SNOW. :yuck:

·
Premium Member
25,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cold I can handle, but I need sunshine to get me motivated. Cold and cloudy and I'm on the couch wrapped in a bunch of blankets.

Saw a couple more potted plants that still need to be moved. Mad at myself for not getting them planted earlier. Ground will be frozen after this weekend. Into the shed they'll go.

·
hillbilly in training
255 Posts
I get horrible itchy dry skin problems in the winter. I've been fine till this last week and now I'm scratching like a dog with fleas.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I wanted to make 1 more cord of wood, for next year. Insurance company wanted a railing around the porch, but I have till April. I have the tractor out under a tarp I have to put that in the shed and hook up the plow to it yet. I'm hoping for a little warm weather once this cold air goes by us to get some of that done. I won't be able to do much after thanksgiving though, I have to go and get a hernia fixed the day after. (Why don't they call them "himnias" since this kind is almost exclusively a male problem?)

·
Registered
551 Posts
We got a very light dusting Thursday night and suppose to get another dusting tonight before 2-5 inches Sunday-Monday. Never ready for the white stuff or these cold temps but it seems like just a few weeks ago it was the middle of the summer.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts