Winter with Wire Cages?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by JAS, Nov 3, 2004.

1. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

Sorry if this has been asked already, I am being lazy today.

What do you do for your rabbits in the winter with -20 even -40 degree days possible. I have them in wire cages, so am thinking the feet might suffer. Should I put a board in or even a small box to go into? All my cages are in buildings but no electricity for heat.

Thanks.

2. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

Oh, forgot. Do you keep breeding through the winter. My last breeding will give me litters this week. I was wondering if I should rebreed again in January-February or wait until the warmer weather. Thanks.

3. TheBlueOne

TheBlueOne Well-Known Member

We slip squares of gypsum board (drywall) in to the cages for them to sit on if they want to. Make sure it's not placed in the "potty corner". Gypsum board has thermal mass so after t hey sit on it for a while it will be slightly warmer than the room temperature. Is your rabbit housing wind-proof?
    We keep breeding through the winter and place those animals (never more than one or two at a time) in the basement of the house.

4. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

I put some sheet rock in one of the cages. The buck is chewing it. Is this bad for him, or normal?

5. TheBlueOne

TheBlueOne Well-Known Member

Some rabbits will chew on it, some won't. It won't hurt them.

6. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

I would suggest using a wooden board instead of the sheet rock. We always used that and it worked well. It is not necessarily a problem not having anything, though. As long as they don't get their feet wet that is.