Winter Wheat

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by pasotami, Sep 4, 2006.

1. pasotami

pasotami Hangin out at the barn!

When do you plant? I am tilling up 7 acres at this time (slow go) and will put in winter wheat. Do you plant by the signs or just when you can? I want to cut this for hay but thought I'd let a small area ripen for my home use. I'd love to hear what everyone has to say!

2. catahoula

catahoula Well-Known Member

Out here in Eastern Washington farmers plant in September and October, pretty much right after the exsisting crop of say lentils is cut, the ground is horrowed to break up straw and cover any lentils that didn't get picked up. After everything sprouts it is sprayed out then they seed with a no-till drill. The jury is still out on this one, some farmers don't want much more than a three inch blade of grass before the snow flies, others say the taller the better, they all agree that snow cover is important to prevent winter kill. The whole thing is a race against weather, they want to get the seed in the ground while the ground is warm enough to sprout the seed and before fall rains to get the additional moisture, and of course a good amount of growth before it freezes.

3. swollen tongue

swollen tongue Well-Known Member

Same goes here to for winter wheat. Although they plant it here around August 15

4. pasotami

pasotami Hangin out at the barn!

Hmmm - Eastern point of TN - I was told to plant in mid Sept. so it would not get too big before a hard freeze.... The other confusing issue was the amount I was told to plant. One supplier said one bushel per acre another said 2-3 bushels per acre if I were going to mow it for hay. Guess I'll have to call the ag office this week to see what they say.

5. swollen tongue

swollen tongue Well-Known Member

if you live in east Tn. I would say mid Sept. is about right for the area. We have a much earlier frost here and a shorter growing season.

6. Sammy

Sammy Well-Known Member

Plant after your Fly Free Date.