Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what helps water from freezing in winter 34 pigs the water is put in to a plastic 55 cut in half long way and nailed to wall it only gets filled half way with hot water twice a day and still chipping ice out so for a time in between its frozen and they can't get water I would like to stop that so they have water all the time they are my bosses pigs and he has no clue on pigs they have worms just sent 8 to slaughter they we 15 months old hanging weight 240 I'm taking there care over so trying to fix the care to make it better I grew up on beef farm so iv done some changing but water is one issue that I need help with there is no power in the pig barn so the barn is just a wind break

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
We bury barrels upright in the ground so they get ground heat, put some rocks in to prevent drowning and then use flowing water from springs in 1" plastic pipe. Springs are optional, what we have. Making a microclimate shroud around the waterer helps. See:

http://sugarmtnfarm.com/2012/12/27/winter-whey-water/

We're in your climate (near Montpelier, VT) and on mountain land so the are springs above us.

I don't like electric heaters because they suck down huge amounts of money out of my bank account. Ground heat is free.

Cheers,

-Walter

1 - 2 of 2 Posts