Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's it. This is my last year growing squash. It's just too much (other than cushaw, of course).

I have these bulky shelves over my washer and dryer and I've stuck lots of winter squash up there to keep. Well last night I noticed a couple of the were starting to mold and rot. I keep the temps in the house relatively cool and I don't close up the door when doing laundry and I don't know what else to do with these squashes !! They are driving me nuts. I thought they just grew, you pick them then stash the away to eat on them all winter long. Why is this so hard ??

·
Lovin' my Fam
4,459 Posts
the method we used last yr was awesome for keeping squash- butternut/spaghetti/acorn
They lasted well into April!

we used 2 large plastic containers
the first cold water with dish soap to wash them-
the second was a super mild bleach water we dipped them in-
then dry them completely
then use cheap oil- veg/olive whatever- we put a small amount on a tea towel or paper towel and wipe the entire squash with it- it adds a barrier- a slight sheen-
the oil keeps the squash from loosing moisture-
stored in our basement- on shelves not touching- and checking them once a week for spots and getting rid of those with spots- cause it spreads to the others fast

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I thought you were supossed to let any squash cure outside after picking for at least a week so they would form their thick skins. I'm no expert though.

·
Lovin' my Fam
4,459 Posts
I think leaving them on the vine longer is right- ... picking them too soon will cause them to rot too soon

Reactions: bigjon

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
you also have to leave a stem of two or three inches on them...Becka i like your idea of cleaning them...

·
Lovin' my Fam
4,459 Posts
Worked like a charm - we harvested 4 kinds of squash last year- at least 40 of each and they lasted well into early spring!

you only need the lightest amount of oil- just enough to create that dull sheen like in the grocery store ones- it keeps'em longer

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay. I picked them when the vines turned brown and they let go easily. Also about the same time the squash bugs showed up in droves. And I left them outside on the sun porch for over a week, out of the direct heat but still outside in the warm temps.

I planned to store them in the crawl space under the house but I was worried about bugs and mice.

Guess I'll just cut them meat out and freeze them...compost the rest. I have to get that root cellar dug ASAP.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've had my dehydrator running the past couple days making chips out of portions of 1. The mice started chewing on the sides of one of them that was in the garden so its not going to keep. So now I have 35 lbs of squash to use up from just that 1. So far I've had pretty good results making chips out of it just using olive oil, sea salt and a slicer.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Certain varieties definitely "keep" better than others!
I bake and freeze all mine. My basement isn't cool enough and the detached garage is waaaaay too cold!

Debbie

1 - 12 of 12 Posts