Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,221 Posts
Leah,
We talked about trying a cold frame when you were here. Couple of straw bales with a piece of glass on top. I hope others have had luck using other things.

Any one????

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
I just planted some. I did so a few years ago for the first time. No cold frame, no row covers, zone 5. It came up in late feb and was edible in late march. Then last year I used a cold frame and had edibles in late feb. This year I will put a row cover on for the winter. I will put my portable cold frame on another box and probably put some more spinach in there too.

I read from someone else on this forum about planting some in a tub and bringing it inside at night. I might try that too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Look back through MEN magazine. There was an issue in the last year about growing greens all winter long. Don't remember if spinach was on the list but I know Kale was and something called mache` or corn salad. I've got Kale and turnips right now and I'm getting ready to put straw all around them and cover with plastic. Good luck!!!

·
Premium Member
4,440 Posts
We planted it here in So.MO in the garden, threw a row cover over it about Dec. and it kept going...got touched by cold a time or two but when the weather moderated it came back and in the spring we had a really good harvest. Never hurts to try as seed is really cheap compared to so manythings in life. Have grown it in a big pot in front of the sliding doors,too and had a meal or two...last year DH saved a cherry tomato plant and we had a few 'maters a week all winter long...hey, it helps to stave off garden withdrawal symptoms until we open the greenhouse in Feb!!! Dee

·
Registered
280 Posts
Last year I grew lettuce under 4 mil plastic and had it until Christmas. I also live in zone 5.

If you can keep lettuce alive, you should be able to keep spinach, which according to most garden books, tolerates temps down to 28 F uncovered.

Check out "Four Season Harvest" by Elliot Coleman. He also lives in zone 5.

Apparently the trick is to provide dual protection. He uses plastic row covers inside a plastic film greenhouse. Also, few things actually grow over winter, they just sort of go into a suspended animation.

Things that actually grow are mache, claytonia and spinach. Things that stay alive are most of the cool weather greens.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts