Winter Solstice is TODAY

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by suburbanite, Dec 22, 2006.

1. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    Solstice has had significance for pre-christian and pagan societies for as long as there is history.

I'm rather surprised nobody here has mentioned it, as the reason it was significant to those societies was it meant that the days would begin getting longer again--it marked the beginning of winter, and the turning point toward the warmth and agriculture of spring.

Y'all are farmers and ranchers, y'all should pay attention to this stuff!

It is time for celebration, or at least recognition. It all gets lighter from here!

2. wyld thang

wyld thang God Smacked Jesus Freak Supporter

Turtle Island/Yelm, WA "Land of the Dancing Spirit
    Hey! I'm Christian and I observed the solstice! (so there! ;)) I was busy "paying attention". I always hope for sun to mark the southest notch in the horizon where it comes up(summer too). I swear I can feel that slowing, and then the pause, and then the strain as the earth wobbles back :) It was "observed" on the local news, too ;). The last few days before Christmas break the kids were getting on the bus in the dark, and I was picking them up in twilight.

'scuse me while I go light my bonfire of storm slash and dance around in my duofold red union suit...

3. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I paid attention, too. Just did it quietly....

4. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

We knew ~ we celebrated the return of light. :)

5. TnMtngirl

TnMtngirl Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes I noticed,always look forward to the first day of winter..Wont be long now till spring :dance: :dance: :dance:

6. SherryR

SherryR Well-Known Member

Hurrah! The coming of the light!
    Sherry

7. veme

veme Well-Known Member Supporter

8. Trevilians

Trevilians Well-Known Member

I also thought it was yesterday. One radio station said yesterday, another said today. Either way, I'm glad of it because the days are now getting longer. Bring on Spring!!! That's my time of year.

9. pasotami

pasotami Hangin out at the barn!

It is not only a day to celebrate here, it is a day of great planning - The day we decide what we want to plant in 2007!

10. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm a follower of Jesus, but I definitely take note of the solstice and do the Happy Dance of Joy. From here on out, the days get LONGER and that makes for one happy Pony! :dance:

Pony!

11. Melissa

Melissa member

I was thinking too that the short daylight hours will start getting longer! I really look forward to spring.

12. Janis Sauncy

Janis Sauncy Well-Known Member

I ALWAYS look forward to the first day of winter because I know the following day is going to be a wee bit longer. Not enough to notice, but just the psychological boost it gives me makes it all good!

I told somebody at work yesterday that the first day of winter is an optimist's favorite day of the year.

13. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

I have one calender that says yesterday (the 21st) Three that say the 22nd.

Either way the sun will still set earlier each day for a few days. It does however come up earlier in the mornings after solstice.

14. veme

veme Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Folks!
    The Winter Solstice is calculated by using the longitude & latitude of a particular location .
    The Solstice occurs when the Sun enters the Sign of Capricorn. Capricorn is the Cardinal Earth Sign of the Zodiac, is governed by the Planet Saturn and carries with it associations of Tradition, Winter, Cold, Restriction, Old Age and lots more.
    People have forgotten what Almacks are used for. :Bawling:

veme

15. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

There was another thread on it started a few days ago. Not sure where it is but it's here somewhere.

16. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

Aha, maybe that is why I'm so down in the dumps and unmotivated today. If only the sun would come out for the short time it's up, I might feel better. :(

17. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    Well, I wound up celebrating the solstice by getting a migraine.

So much for getting back to earthy roots. :rolleyes:

18. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your migraine, Suburbanite. DD used to get them quite frequently...horrible things, they are.

I'm looking forward to being able to see during afternoon chores again, that's for sure! Actually...I'm looking forward to sending DD out to do the chores (she doesn't like going out there alone in the dark; can't say that I blame her!)

19. Kris W.

Kris W. unregistered user

It's warm here....I'm thinking about the pool.......

20. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

I cut my tree this morning. Thought about the Solstice as I was doing it, using it to help the sun come back earlier each day now. :)

It's a very special week of the year. My dad's birthday was the 20th, then Solstice, then my Uncle's is the 24th, then Christmas, then you get a little time to recover and then it's New Years. I like this time of year. :)

Jennifer