Winter shop projects?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Ross, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

So what's your plans for this winter? I'd like to make some kitchen cabinets, if I can find a design we like. And time.

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

I want to finish putting my Horse drawn planter together.

3. Dave S.

Dave S. Well-Known Member

I will be cutting a 12'x16' garden shed for my mother and a 14'x16' Dutch house frame to sell. Both will be timber framed.

4. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

building a back hoe and front end loader attachment for my little JD

5. Jim&Chele

Jim&Chele Well-Known Member

Winter project(s)....lets see....a McCormick 10-20,a Farmall 230,a Farmall H,a Aliis Chalmers WD,2 mini bikes,a moped,a gocart,different motor in the truck and last but not least getting the new to us camper repaired.Hope it is a long winter for me LOL.

6. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

want to build a small back hoe as well, thinking of a towable one insted of of a 3 point or mounted one, simular to "cad plans".

7. Rickstir

Rickstir Well-Known Member

Missouri (Hard by the Elk Fork of the Salt River)
    Not nearly as inventive or as talented as you guys. I'm taking some scrap lumber from work and making a small parts storage center. I have a gajillion nails, nuts and bolts, small parts, etc. This is the year I am going to get it organized and labeled. At work we are rewiring some buildings and have some new construction. We use connectors from Hubbel and they are shipped in a white cardboard parts bin. The staff knows to bring them me when they are empty, I will give them a good home. This 4 foot high by 5 ft wide, by 15 inch deep unit with four shelves and a wall mounted metal parts bin above it should about do it. The dymo lable maker in my office should make it so I can find what I box up.

8. ponyboy123

ponyboy123 Well-Known Member

Hey Pyro and farminghandyman, I too would like to build a backhoe. I would love to hear ur plans and toss a few ideas back and forth.

Ponyboy

9. dennisjp

dennisjp dennisjp

I have been toying with that idea also. www.surpluscenter.com has got the best prices I have found, and they will mail you a catalog for free.
    I don't know what kind of engine you all are thinking about, but they have an 86 HP Perkins diesel for $3595.00, plus a slew of hydraulic parts.
    I have bought several things from them and they are a good company to deal with.

10. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

I really need to tear my tractor down. Third gear is broken. I dont know if I will get to it or not, I also want to get cable strung tight through my woods to hang my maple sap tubing on it.

11. Gideon

Gideon Well-Known Member

Another shed off storage bldg and small greenhouse off existing shed. Clear underbrush to property line. Rebuild my chickies an abode worthy of their product-actually just want them off the patio-lol, wc Oh yes, more shelves for the preps.

12. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

Will be building a duck boat, have planes, have wood, need time!

13. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

We will be laying tile and carpet in our 'real' home and then building some knotty pine kitchen cabinets with raised panel doors to complete....well almost completing the remodel.......BUT first I am angling for building a redwood hottub for the place before I start anything else.......i have another week to argue my case.....I think I'll win!!

14. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

will be finishing easydays glass shop not realy much left to do thouh

15. mohillbilly

mohillbilly Well-Known Member

Looks like I will be trying to get the doors onmy shop finished up, get the homebuilt woodstove finished so it will have heat, then looks like the next project is rebuilding an 78 ramcharger so it ready for the trails. which means i still have to get the darned 440 and 727 pulled out of an old motorhome, which will be a project in itself......might find some time to restore my ol b johnny popper, but probably not this year

16. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

welll i would like too get two of the 5 ford majors i own running, hot rod and the 54, first problem is too get them home! also like too get the shop sealed up some from the elements!

17. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

We're replacing the Lexan on our greenhouse at work. the sheets are 6 by 18 feet and there will be 70 of them. No one has spoken for them yet so I told them I'd take 20 and maybe all of them if no one else wanted them. I'm going to use them to replace the fiberglass skylights and window in my pole barn and build a pretty good size greenhouse. Also want to finish painting my Farmall M.

PyroDon, do you have plans for a frontend loader? I'd like to build one for my M.

Bobg

18. Catwagon

Catwagon Member

I'm building a set of steam engines and a boiler to run them on.

19. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

Wood who needs wood :)
    Ive built canvas& glass duck boats on skeleton frames
    they are a little fragile . the last little boat I built using 4x8ft sheets of 1" styrofoam glued together using great stuff foam insulation.
    each sheet is cut to the rough outline and layered up staggering the joints
    seats are left solid in the sheet , floor area is hollowed as are storage compartments/livewell/cooler. once its all glued up do some finish shaping with an old hacksaw blade to smooth off the rough edges .
    then you have a choice of fiberglassing it with a low temp epoxy resin and mat or giving it a good coat of latex (water based paint) and glassing it with polyester resin and glass mat. ( old fiberglass curtains make for cheap glass cloth)
    this makes for a light weight unsinkable boat .

20. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

Pyrodon, very cool idea!
    Any pic's?