Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across a good deal on a 8x10 Arrow metal shed on craigslist and bought it.

I was thinking about using it for storing hay, but then it occurred to me that I could let my donkey have it to get out of the elements in the new pasture I'm fencing in this weekend.

I'm sure it would be fine for getting out of the sun and rain, but would a metal building be enough shelter for a donkey during the winter? My other option is to clear out an old wood barn with a dirt floor that I'm currently using for storage.

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
I imagine that in Alabama your winters are not as harsh as other areas? If you don't get heavy snow loads, and it isn't a tornado zone, you should be just fine wintering a little donkey in it. A nice straw bedding and food/water, he should be just fine!

I have a 3 stall metal run in shed for horses. They hang out in it fairly often, surprisingly a lot in the summer...I would have thought it too warm being metal, but it is actually quite cool. Winters aren't bad here, and they have access to it as needed, and it has done just fine for me.

·
Banned
30,992 Posts
It it's light metal you may want to line the inside part way up with boards, that way if the donk kicks or paws he can't get his hoof through the metal and get sliced up.

Otherwise, it'll keep the rain and wind off and should be enough for a Alabama winter.

Reactions: DamnearaFarm

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'm sure it would be fine for getting out of the sun and rain, but would a metal building be enough shelter for a donkey during the winter? My other option is to clear out an old wood barn with a dirt floor that I'm currently using for storage.
Yes, it will do fine. A lot of people in my area use Tote-A-Sheds for their horses, and they are all tin on a metal frame with a 4' kickboard on the bottom.

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
It it's light metal you may want to line the inside part way up with boards, that way if the donk kicks or paws he can't get his hoof through the metal and get sliced up.

Otherwise, it'll keep the rain and wind off and should be enough for a Alabama winter.
Agree, if there is a danger of kicking, line it with some heavy plywood or boards. I didn't think to mention that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts