Winter Shelter for pigs

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by matt_man, Nov 16, 2006.

1. matt_man

matt_man Well-Known Member Supporter

Just wondering if we absolutely have to get a winter shelter built for our two pigs who will be butchered in February (roughly). We live in southern Missouri and the winters are fairly mild.

Rachel K

2. 2story

2story Well-Known Member

i have a shelter for mine, sometimes they use it sometimes(mostly) they do not. I do not regret having one. it is a three sided structure with a roof, it will keep the wind and rain off, but as i said often I find them on the ground, but every batch has been a little different.(5th year) i think I worry about them more then they worry about their wellfare!

3. GREEN_ALIEN

GREEN_ALIEN Sunny, Wet, Tornadoey SD!

You can build a simple, cheap shelter by stacking strawbales into a little hut. It works great but does not last forever... soon enough it is just a straw pile but the pigs will bury in it and be fine. I use them here (N.E. WA) when I need something fast and the pigs always do well.

Ted

4. montysky

montysky Well-Known Member

I would give them some type of Shelter, with straw for bedding. In Montana I have no option but to have housing for them. But any location I think it is a good thing to have for them.

5. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Supporter

The big things are protection from the wind, protection from wet and plenty of hay or straw. See this article about some of how we do it:

http://sugarmtnfarm.com/blog/2005/11/winter-pig-dens.html

Basically anything that does the above works. We're in the mountains of Vermont. Cold and windy.

6. savinggrace

savinggrace COO of manure management

I would provide at least a roof to get out of the weather. Mine had a stall which opened out to a yard. We had a cold snap a few weeks back and I gave them an entire extra bale of straw-they built furrowss through it! That morning, all you could see was their backs.
    It was worth the extra bale of straw just in entertainment value! :dance:

7. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

I wouldn't try to go without a shelter either. It doesn't have to be much. Just enough so they can get out of rain and wind. Lots of hay for them to burrow into is good too.

Savinggrace, my favorite is when you have entire litter buried under the hay and the only thing that you can see is the tips of their ears. If you make just a little bit of noise their ears will follow you like little radars. If you make alot of noise they jump out of the hay as fast as they can and bark and run around like maniacs. That always makes me laugh.

Heather

8. kidsngarden

kidsngarden Well-Known Member

I have a friend who doesn't give the pigs hay or straw to bed in and she is missing out! It is so cute to see those pigs burrowed in there and so fun to watch! Even my big gilts love it!

kids

9. watcher

watcher de oppresso liber

I grew up in the Bootheel of MO and you do need SOMTHING for them. The problem comes when its cold, wet and windy. As someone pointed out all you'll really need is something with a roof, to keep them out of the rain, and some walls, to keep the wind off of them. A few old pallets wired to a few steel T post with a tarp wrapped around them. Toss in some hay or leaves and they'll be fine.