winter pansy question

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by just ducky!, Dec 7, 2006.

1. just ducky!

just ducky! Duffer is my #1 pet duck!

I have a partially raised bed garden, I say partially because it isn't really a real raised bed but I had to lift it off the ground a little bit because the spot is very wet. Anyway the garden is doing great but now it looks a little messy because of all the weeds that are growing up around the outside. I was thinking of planting a row of winter pansies and some mulch around the outside of the garden to keep down the weeds but since it is quite wet there I wasn't sure if pansies would be the best thing. My question is do you think pansies would do ok there or is there something just as pretty and easy and short that would do better? Thank-you for any advice! :)

2. Pouncer

Pouncer Well-Known Member

As I recall, most pansies don't care for soggy feet. Well drained is more like it. You might try some old fashioned gem marigolds...come in a couple of colors and can look pretty nice if planted thickly enough to make a good border....neat thing is, the seeds are cheap and they are super easy to grow!

3. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

As Pouncer said, pansies don't like wet feet -- but if your bed is elevated enough (even if it isn't a truly raised bed), pansies should be ok. Most of the smaller-flowered varieties are winter-hardy, especially since you're in Virginia.

When we lived in Seattle, the pansies would freeze flat every night, but when the sun came around and warmed them up, they would perk up and be green and bloom just fine. Even here on the high plains of Montana, early planted ones occasionally freeze solid in the spring, but come back just fine.

4. just ducky!

just ducky! Duffer is my #1 pet duck!

Pouncer, thank-you for that idea. I do like marigolds and I never even thought of them! I think I will give them a try next year.
    Marcia, I will be putting the border around the outside of the garden where it is not raised so I guess pansies probably wouldn't work. Thanks again!