Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been noticing that many of you have your does kid in the winter. At first I thought it may be because of a Southern location (warmer during this time of year), but that wasn't the case.

Are there any specific reasons that you choose to kid during the cold part of the year? Advantages or Disadvantages vs. spring or early summer kiddings?

I know I'm going to miss the milk when I dry my Saanen up next month, but I really wont miss having to milk her when it's freezing outside.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I tried it and hated it!
Having to keep the kids warm meant heat lamps which put insane increases in my electric bill.

I like April/May kiddings. There are hardly any flies yet and the few, if any, that are around are not a bother.
There's also no need to be paying an outrageous electric bill!

I cant see any reason to winter kid, unless you dont mind higher electric bills. I cant see doing that when its not hard to wait for spring kiddings.
It just makes no sense to me not to spring kid.

Its nice to weaning them right to the pasture. They wean so easy browsing the fields with mom.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Here in Georgia I choose earlier kidding dates due to when my show season begins which is in April, I try to have everything I plan to show fresh by then and then I freshen champion does and brood does to kid later for winter milk.

·
mostly LaManchas
1,004 Posts
I find milking when it is cold better than milking whin it is hot. I would rather do other things in the summer, winter, not much to do anyways.
Me, I just breed them to kid between Jan and June. I have noticed that the early kids fare the winter MUCH better. Late kids don't seem to catch up for a long time.
(and it is seldom really cold here, and when it is it doesn't last very long. ans my barn is well set-up ot keep them warm enough without a lot of help.)

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
Generally kidding out in January works fine here. This week, with the temps down below -10 last night and the wind chill has made for a rougher time. The biggest issue this year though is there are three 4-5 month old bull calves in with the goats and space wise it is a nightmare.
We've had five does kid in the last four days and have another five does due today, tomorrow and Sunday.
I don't breed for February kids because that is when it is the worst weather wise in this area.
We kid some of the does out in the winter for a couple of reasons. With as many does as we kid out, I like to have some spacing so that they are in clean kidding pens and I have time to dedicate to all the kids born. Since we raise our CAE Prevention kids on cow's milk from our dairy herd, it behooves us to have kids in January and February when we have some high count milk from our older cows.
We also have to keep the cows in the barn for most of that time and they keep the barn around freezing and above generally. That along with a deep bedding system around back in our bank barn means no need for heat lamps. Now, we have lost a fe kids when does were stupid and kidded outside.
I attend as many births as possible, but always manage to miss a few. We haven't lost any kids yet this week. About lost a 4.5 pound buck kid last night but he's now a toasty warm bottle baby. The twin bucks born this morning are having a rough go but I expect them to pull through.
Normally, January isn't bad in this part of Ohio...as long as the does are kidding in the milking barn.
County Fairs generally need market wethers born in January so a lot of Boer farmers in thisa rea are kidding out now as well.
We kidded out around Christmas time last year and the year prior. Decided it wasn't worth it so we didn't start off that early this year.
We have 14 does due in January and then a break until mid-March when the other 60+ start kidding again.
A few other reasons I like winter kids. They grow much better. Fewer parasites, they are eating pasture when it is flush, and the biggest is the kids are big enough to keep up with mom when I run the does herd on the 80 acres. Kids born April and later tend to not do so well at keeping up and I have to wander around collecting crying kids and getting them out to their dams.
Also, and this is purely for my own sanity, with my BiPolar and SAD, it gives me a reason to move in the dead of winter. Having does and kids to care for keeps me up and not in a deep depression.

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
The #1 reason I kid out in December/January/February/March is *much* better kid growth due to less cocci, less worms and lower temps. In hot, humid, wet southern Missouri, it works the best.
I do not use heat lamps. Ever. The kids are 100% dried by mom and me if they are to be staying outside with mom. If they are dairy kids, to be raised on the bucket, they come inside for the first few days, then are moved outside again during the day and then outside 24/7 by two weeks of age.
By weaning age, we have green growth aplenty.
My doelings must be big enough to breed their first fall. By kidding in the dead of winter, my kids are ready to breed by 8-10 months old.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
I'm not brave (or stubborn?) enough to try it in the winter (yet) but some of the advantages are:

fewer parasites & biting insects
4H sales (market animals for our State Fair in late August/early September are supposed to be born close to the 1st of the year, but not before)
longer time (less edema and better overall condition for does) from date freshened to first show (especially important for show herds in locations where shows run all year 'round or start up early in the spring)

Our area is too cold for too long and my facilities are not what I want for kiddings in temperatures below 30F (even then I am nervous about it). We generally don't have shows before late May (usually our first one is early June), and I don't really sell market animals (NDs). They could be 4H projects, but not market animals as their carcass is too small and designed to be dairy instead of meaty.

·
Katie
19,970 Posts
I think our winters are way tooooo cold here. Not like some places but plenty cold enough. I always plan for April/May Kiddings & has always worked well for me.
Nothings as fun in the winter here & I like to spend time with the babies & play with them, well even my goats don't want to be out in this weather & neither do I, except for taking care of the critters.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts