winter housing

Discussion in 'Goats' started by full sun, Oct 25, 2006.

1. full sun

full sun Well-Known Member

Burrrr--it's freezing here in NC! I moved from Michigan, where my little goats' winter nights were spent snug in a closed, draft-free barn. Since we moved here a couple of months ago, they've been in barn with an open cut out window and an open doorway (cuz a horse knocked the door off before we moved here). It's mild compared to Michigan, but still it gets down into the 30's and 20's at night. Should I worry about drafts?

Jennifer

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

They should be fine as long as they stay dry. Maybe you could cover the window with plastic to stop the air and still let some light and warmth in. Or get a cheap storm window . They can be mounted directly to a wall and if its not too big they are less than $20. And pile in plenty of straw for them to "nest" in

3. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

It sure is cold here I live in VA and it is now in the 20's at night and day only high 30s. To early to be this cold.. If your worried about the window get something to cover it up. Keep the goats dry and plenty of hay or straw. Early morn when going out to give water take them some warm water to drink if you like. If the doorway is facing away from the winds the goats will be warm also.

Good Luck with your goats.. and stay warm.. :)

4. stacygoats

stacygoats Well-Known Member

If you want to leave the doorway open for the goats to go in/out, you could place a windblock outside about 3' from door. I've used bales of straw and t-posts/board to reduce the amount of wind that blows in the goat's shelters.
    Open windows get covered with plexiglass or heavy plastic sheet in the winter and reopened in the spring for fresh air.

5. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Having an open door is fine and actually better than a closed barn in those temps so that the barn can "breathe* and not build up humidity. If the window is creating a draw of air through the open door, block the window. You can put in a window or simply cover it with a sheet of plywood. :shrug:
    Put down plenty of straw and they'll be fine. :)