Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at articles about projected oil prices for this winter -- $100 a barrel is apparently a possibility -- in light of a conversation I had with a neighbor Sunday. He was in the market for firewood, and prices in our area are running at around $220 a cord. My fuel oil supplier is offering various prepay and locked-in price deals that have to be signed within a week or so. Right now I'm thinking about buying maybe 500 gallons and depending on my woodstove to carry the balance. Anyone else thinking about staying warm in the cold on a hot day like this?

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
everyday my friend, i have all electric heat and i will have a wood stove for the winter, some of our electric power comes form a oil fired generator plant and the rest from hydro power. but the electric company uses the excuse of oil prices to hike the rate each year as if all the power on the island comes from that one oil fired plant. :flame:

dean

·
Registered
97 Posts
Last weekend I pulled my wood stove apart to clean it and replace any worn/broken pieces. I also cleaned my chimney and painted the pipe that leads from the stove to the chimney. My wife wouldn't let me start a test-fire, though.
Yep, always thinking about the heating situation...

-rj

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
The propane man was here filling our tank just a few minutes ago. It came to $257.00.

I don't have the bill in front of me so I'm not sure how many gallons he put in. Hopefully it won't need filling again until the end of spring.

We'll be relying mostly on the wood cookstove. Last year it saved us a bundle and we were using punky wood that hadn't been seasoned. We now have a good supply of seasoned oak and locust. It burns real hot so I'll only need to use small amounts to keep the place cozy. I'd like to put a vent in the ceiling above the stove so the heat will go upstairs too.

Pauline

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
We're always thinking about staying warm, also. We have only wood heat and I am still short winter wood. It looks like I will probably purchase a couple of cords of birch to add to the spruce I have ready so far. I had hoped to add a Toyo oil heater this year, but it looks like it's not in the budget so it's just the wood stove again.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
except for one year when we got a dump truck load of firewood, we have cut, hauled, split and stacked all our firewood on our own property. The last few years we have had unusually high winds in the spring. Because of that disturbing trend, DH cut down 11 trees closest to the house that were leaning in the direction of the house. Whew, was that a job. We borrowed a log spliter! So we figure we have about two years supply of firewood at the present time, all white oak, hickory and white ash.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
You might think about more insulation, infiltration sealing, window heat loss treatments, duct sealing, ...

Our heat bills are less than half what it used to be.
http://www.builditsolar.com/References/Half/ProjectsConservation.htm

The new energy bill will even pay for some of it.

We are doing our summer propane fillup next week at $1.65 a gallon -- about the same as last year I think. We should now be able to go until next summer for the next fillup, and avoid the higher prices in the winter (up to $2.20 last year).

Gary

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
Yeah, I need to get the propane tank filled before Labor Day. The woodstove provides most of the house's heat, but the furnace is there for backup. We paid about $1.70 last year...I think.

·
Registered
12,447 Posts
SolarGary talks about storm doors on his very informative site.

I was thinking of adding a vestibule on the front of my doublewide. Not only break the flatness of the front of the house, but mainly to act as an "air lock". Could even put a chair there to take off muddy boots.

Does anyone have one of these? I rarely see them on newer homes, but think they're a good idea not only for cold air control but also to keep heat from entering the house in the summer.

Is my idea pie in the sky or am I being reasonable??

·
Registered
248 Posts
We heat with 100% wood, have for 17 years on this property. Last year we put in an outdoor wood boiler for the house and shop heat, as well as domestic hot water . I have been picking up free seasoned hardwood off of craigs list for weeks now, so to answer your question....yup, thinking about it all summer. All my wood this year, as in all years past, is free 'cept for my labor (which doesn't count anyway) and gas for saws and the Jeep. :dance:

·
Registered
749 Posts
I am thinking about keeping wark everyday also. We have our propane tanked filled also, it's almost empty. I'm afraid to see the bill when they do fill it. This winter were planning on using the woodstove a lot more to reduce the propane use, the radiant floor is propane and uses a lot so were trying to heat with wood mainly this year. Chris

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Wolf mom said:
SolarGary talks about storm doors on his very informative site.

I was thinking of adding a vestibule on the front of my doublewide. Not only break the flatness of the front of the house, but mainly to act as an "air lock". Could even put a chair there to take off muddy boots.

Does anyone have one of these? I rarely see them on newer homes, but think they're a good idea not only for cold air control but also to keep heat from entering the house in the summer.

Is my idea pie in the sky or am I being reasonable??

We have an air lock on both entrances to our house. They work GREAT. One air lock entry doubles as a greenhouse/mud room. The other entrance doubles as a garage. The coldest the garage gets is 50 degrees F and the greenhouse 40 degrees F. So the living area opens into the coldest temperature of 40*. Sure beats opening the door into 0*F.

·
Scotties rule!
1,617 Posts
I doubled my attic insulation last year. It really shows in the summer cooling cost, I'm sure it helped with winter heating costs too. Filled my propane tank a month ago for $1.45 a gallon. It will easily last me until next summer.

Kathie

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
We heat with wood, but have natural gas back up. Our firewood costs us nothing, but gas for the saw and sweat. I pick it up all year long off of new development projects when they cut down the trees, also get some from blow downs from other peoples yards after storms. Tree services also are usually willing to leave logs on job sites if you promise to pick it up. We also have the national forest firewood permit system, but they mark what can be cut and it is usually not worth the effort. For those of you who have oil burners you can cut your fuel 50/50 with used veg. oil. I used to do that when we had oil heat a few years ago, you just have to filter it well or change the inline filter often.

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,668 Posts
Yep, thinking about it, even on these hot summer days. I heat mostly with wood, propane for the stove, water heater and backup heat only. Have been splitting & stacking wood in the barn all spring & summer, and ready for another pickup load.

NeHi

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.