Winter Gardens

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Wednesday, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Wednesday

Wednesday New Member

I'd like to have some fresh greens to harvest all winter long. Is anyone else out there planning a winter garden?

What I've done is build a framed bed with a very rich soil mix in it, I will cover this with a Plexiglass storm window and some shading.

I'm planning to grow a few lettuces, mescalun, garlic, onions, brussels sprouts and broccoli.

What do you have growing in your winter gardens?

2. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

Here in zone 7 I have cinder block raised beds and for the winter I bend pvc from one side of bed to other and make a hoop house. In it I grow lettuce, chard, beets, spinach, ect.

3. VictoriaAnn

VictoriaAnn Victoria Ann

OH, yes, yes, I want to do a winter garden this year! There was an article a while back in Mother Earth News about growing greens in a very simple setup. It was by Eliot Coleman's daughter (Eliot has written some wonderful organic gardening books, including Four Season Harvest that goes into detail about winter gardening)
    So anyway, all she did was take bales of straw and set them up in a rectangle with a space in the middle, filled this with good dirt, and compost and planted her greens seed in this cozy insulated raised bed. She then put a couple of 2x4's crosswise over the top, put heavy gauge plastic over that and anchored the plastic on the ground with bricks. Then she waited. And low and behold she had greens growing in the dead of winter in Colorado! The article makes some suggestions as to the varieties. I remember mache', tat soi, "Joy Choy" pak choi, and there were others that I can't recall now. I believe that Four Season Harvest has more information, but this sounded so simple that I've just got to try it!
    My dh and I also intend on making a cattle panel hoop house that we will use as an unheated greenhouse. I'm planning on trying to grow the same things in each set up and see if one does better than the other.