Winter Feed

Discussion in 'Goats' started by goatedintoit, Aug 31, 2006.

1. goatedintoit

goatedintoit Truly Gems ADGA Nubians

I have one milker, one yearling and three doelings. Hope to breed all of them between now and January.

Do I continue feeding alfalfa thru the winter or put them on regular hay until closer to kidding time? Is it different for the milker than the others? :shrug:

Thanx

2. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Lois: I feed all my does alfalfa all year round. They get a little grass hay, but mostly alfalfa hay. The older does and newly bred doelings all get the same hay. I feed the doelings grain throughout their pregnancy because they need food to grow both their kids and themselves. The older does get their grain cut back to just a little a day until they get closer to kidding. I don't like to do any major changes in their diets, especially when they're pregnant. Kathie

3. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

all dry does here get alfalfa pellets year round like 3lbs per day or free choice, grass hay, minerals until 100days out from freshening then start adding grain slowly until by freshening they are up to 1 to 1 1/2 lbs per feeding of grain. This is per Sue Reith's info on ketosis and hypocalcimia. been doing this for going on 5 yrs now with nary a problem.

4. goatedintoit

goatedintoit Truly Gems ADGA Nubians

Thank you for your input.

I was unsure as I'd been getting conflicting input. But it seems to me the goats have a better diet with alfalfa, especially since mine really don't appreciate just straight hay w/o alfalfa.

I'm going to continue as I have been. :baby04: