Winter Clothing

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by motivated, Sep 9, 2005.

1. motivated

motivated Well-Known Member

I wanted to know what type of clothing you will be sporting this winter with the gas bills that are supposed to increase.
    I will be wearing the usual flannel or cotton long johns with lace under the jeans skirt or jumper. Sometimes I like to wear t shirts with long john tops underneath the layers keep me warm.

2. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

I usually wear sweatpants with long johns underneath, and a tee shirt with a sweatshirt. And I always wear hunting socks. I love hunter's clothing! They make them nice and warm.

3. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

My plan is to start out with warm fuzzy slippers (sheepskin) - add socks when necessary, jeans, longsleeve undershirt with sweater and a fleece on
    top if necessary and drink lots of hot tea. I might have to add some long johns too!

We moved to a rural community and rented a house un-seen while our's is being built and we have found out it is the coldest house in town (maybe why
    it wasn't rented)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. trappmountain

trappmountain Well-Known Member

my feet are usually the coldest part of my body so I always wear socks and sheep skin slippers or booties. I always wear jeans or sweats and a sweatshirt. If I get cold I have plenty of oversized sweaters that will fit over anthing I have on.

5. labrat

labrat Well-Known Member

My summer and winter attire rarely change. The usual jeans and a tee-shirt work well for both seasons, however, I might add a long sleeved flannel shirt in the winter. As for my sleeping arrangements, I wear the same for summer as winter, my birthday suit. By the way, winters aren't that rough here in central Kentucky.

6. Madame

Madame Well-Known Member Supporter

For work nothing changes since they keep it reasonably warm (and if it gets too cold I just put on my coat). At home - sweats, afghans, and little wheatberry filled bags that I warm up in the microwave (they don't last forever, but are so warm that it's wonderful!)

7. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

My most useful piece of winter clothing is a pair of insulated Carhart coveralls. I wear them out to do barn chores with just my regular clothes underneath, wool socks, work boots, and a nice warm hat to stay toasty warm even in temps below zero. Indoors I'm never without my old ratty house sweater and shearling lined elkskin mocs.

8. 1/4acre

1/4acre Well-Known Member

Winter :eek: brings out the heavy duty stuff.5:00 am. fluid checks and startups :grit: at the bus yard calls for wool socks, hiking boots, longjohns under the jeans, long sleeve Tee under the sweatshirt/ sweater/flannel shirt.Thinsulate lined leather gloves and an assortment of hats and scarves i've made over the years. Evenings :buds: I like my old down slippers that my sis gave me for X-mas a few years ago. They're not much good for walking around in but sure are toasty. Everyone here has their own afghan that I made them years ago in the colors of their choice.

9. Larburlingame

Larburlingame Well-Known Member

My problem is gloves. I have poor circulation to my fingers and they get cold easily. I have tried thinsulate gloves and they work ok but my fingers still get cold. I have used mittens and found they were a little better than gloves but not a a whole lot. Any suggestions?