Wine pulp

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mammabooh, Sep 12, 2005.

1. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

After bottling up my 10-year-old quince wine, I have about 10 cups of pulp left. Any ideas what I can do with it...I don't think I want to get the chickens and rooster drunk and it seems like such a waste to put it on the compost pile. I was thinking that, perhaps, I could make some sort of dessert. Any ideas?

2. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Let me clarify--is this pulp that you already used in making the wine (it sat in the fermenter with the other ingredients for a period of time? If thats so, I can't imagine it making any kind of dessert. Hopefully all the sweet juicy goodness has been given over to your wine already!

I put mine directly on a garden bed and bypass the compost bin. If you are worried about alcohol and the chickens, simply rinse it well and see if that will work for you.

3. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

Fill a large glass with the wine and watch your chickens get drunk. It might be fun for all. There is no way the chickens will drink enough to harm themselves.

Pete

4. mammabooh

Yep, that's what I'm talking about. I was thinking maybe something like a fruitcake...not really something sweet and gooey. It was in the wine for 10 years (my uncle made the wine and never strained it), so I just think it would be really cool to make something with it. I suppose I should just taste the pulp to see if it's worth using, huh?!?!?

5. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

Can you dry and grind it into a flour of some sort? Might be interesting to mix in with cakes, muffins, or breads. (The fermented smell might go really nice in a bread recipe.)

Lynda

6. mammabooh

Ooohhh...now that sounds like a good idea! I think I will do that.

7. momofmany

momofmany Dayenu farms

colo-Dado! As my enthusiatic 4 yo calls it.
    I gotta ask. How does the wine taste? I have never heard of not racking of a wine, ever.

8. mammabooh

It is incredibly delicious. Just think of drinking an alcoholic version of canned pear juice. At room temperature, it is almost like syrup, but I've read that is common with pear and quince wine. It seems to thin out when it is refrigerated.

My in-laws (who don't drink...ha ha ha) have been taking home two bottles at a time and mixing it with a bit of Sprite. I suppose they would probably like wine coolers (if they knew there was such a thing).