Wine Making Supplies

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by lizzylea, Jun 5, 2005.

1. lizzylea

lizzylea Member

Hello,

I've been reading over some of the post on this site and I find it really impressive that so many of your are able to craft or otherwise make so many different house hold items. Personally, I am just begining my own personal quest to become truely crafty. I cook, do leathercraft, and am learning to sew.

I would like to learn how to homebrew wine. I have been reading up on the subject and I think I understand the basic process. What I would like to know, though, is where to get the necessary equipment. I have looked online and it seems like a complete kit would cost between $80 and $140. Is this how people usually start out? It seems like an exteremely expensive initial investment in a new hobby to me. Or is there a cheaper source for the basic equipment? Also, what would you consider to be the necessary equipment for a first time wine maker?

Thank you for any help or information that you are able to provide.

2. bare

bare Head Muderator

Depends on what you want. If you just want to try your hand at winemaking all you need are scrounged materials. Start with fruit of some sort, a plastic bucket, a couple glass jugs, and some condoms.

Used to surprise the heck out of myself with some of the stuff I'd made. I made a lot of bad wine too though, which is what you will avoid by spending a little dough on a starter kit.

3. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

Condoms?

A five (preferably 6) gallon bucket with a good lid makes a good primary fermentor. A cheap airlock hotglued to the lid completes that part. For a secondary grab some glass five gallon water bottles. If you have a stainless steel canning kettle (good multi tasker item) all the better...enamel will also work. Collect some bottles and ask arount to friends who might know someone who started brewing and wine making but gave it up...might get some good deals on misc stuff.

4. bare

bare Head Muderator

Ayup, preferably new out of the foil...and unlubricated is a plus. Cheapest airlocks available.