Wine making question.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by r.h. in okla., Nov 4, 2005.

1. Can you reuse store boughten wine bottles? The other day I was deer hunting on new property that I had received permission to hunt on. This property has an old logging road on it and it appears someone in the pass has used it for a dump. :grump: (I hate trash on beautiful land) Anyway I happen to notice about 3 or 4 gallon wine jugs in one particular dump pile with the screw on aluminum caps. I've been wanting to try my luck at making my own wine someday. Would these wine jugs be worthy of retreiving? If I can't use the original lids, could I use a big corks instead?

Thanks for any info. RH. in Okla.

2. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

absolutely, clean, sterilize and lose the twist caps, use rubber bungs instead

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Make sure they aren't cracked! You can use a flashlight in a dark room to 'candle' them like an egg.

4. OneWheelBiting

OneWheelBiting Redneck Hippy

I like using old 16oz soda bottles, old whiskey bottles, and whatever else I could find....

5. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

The gallon jugs could even be used as small fermenters for 'experimental' batches. Just make sure that you get the bottles as close to sterile as humanly possible.

6. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

7. Thanks everyone for your advice and thank you Paranoid for the recipe. That one seems real easy to follow along. I think I'll retreive those bottles and give it a whirl.

8. jeffreyc256

jeffreyc256 Well-Known Member

you can even buy replacement screw caps. look at quality wine and ale.com for all the stuff you need. I messed up my first batch of muscadine wine and cant wait to try again.