Wine making help, please

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Hummingbird, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

Hi all -

I need the winemakers on here to hopefully help me out. On Jan. 9 we started a 5 gal. carboy of white grape made from bottled juice. Same recipe we've always used with good results. Problem is - we used a different yeast. We used something labeled "Cote Des Blancs". When we added it to the carboy, you could see it move through the wine like it was supposed to. However, now it looks like a cloud of yeasty juice in the bottom half of the carboy and the top half is crystal clear. We have absolutely no movement in the airlock.

Now what?

Thanks so much!

Nance

2. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

you can try recharging with fresh yeast.

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Sounds like it is done working. Does seem fast, was it in a warm location? Did you take a starting specific gravity reading? You shouldn't hurt anything stealing a little to see how much its changed.

4. Hummingbird

Thanks - that was fast! It probably needs new yeast as it never even got started working. It's in the basement but it's not overly warm or cold down here and the other carboys seem to working ok.

Open to any ideas you may have.

What you got brewing at your place? We have strawberry, elderberry, white grape and cran-concord in the jugs working. We racked the elderberry last weekend for the first time (and of course had to test! :D ) oh my oh my - is this gonna be nice!

Thanks again!

Nance

5. Ross

Just bottled a Blush Zinfandel, my wife likes a sweet wine. I have a Jermillion red begging to be started. I've just had too much to do.

6. Ross

Hmm am I being cynical noting two HT moderators home brew wine? :rolleyes: :haha:

7. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

Make that 3 mods.
    I'll be starting a gallon of balloon concord in the morning.

8. Shrek

wrap the carboy in an electric blanket or use a heating pad and quilt to keep the jug warm while the yeast starts working.

9. Shrek

We are just the life of the party I guess :haha:

I make wine, freeze brandy and a nice pilsner beer occasionally. A good site for recipes is http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

10. Nature Girl

Nature Girl Active Member

We just bought all the equipment for winemaking at Christmas as a gift to ourselves. Our first batch is now in the carboy, I have to check it on Sunday, I cant wait till its done! Although there is a possibility I wont be able to drink any for the next 9 months or so :rolleyes: . Were making a Shiraz right now. It bubbled the first 4 days in the carboy and hasnt bubbled since, is this normal?

We plan on making all the wine for when we get married in 2005. I cant wait to try making wine out of fresh fruit!]

NatureGirl

11. Shrek,

If freeze brandy is the production of distillates by freezing (fractional crystallization) you should know that this is considered a felony in the eyes of the BATF. You can be fined up to $10000.00 and imprisoned for up to 5 years for each offense. If you are producing applejack, freeze brandy, cider oil etc, you probably should not be touting it on a pubic forum. If you happen to live in New Zealand or Sweden, you can disregard the above message.

12. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

Over Chrirtmas I tasted some homemade coffee liquer-----------WONDERFUL!

This morning I got the recipe, so will be getting it started real soon.

13. Mike in Pa

Mike in Pa Well-Known Member

I only ever make it from fruit ... add the yeast straight to the must in the secondary fermentor.

Maybe you had "bad" or dead yeast??

I just made peach wine. Racked twice and bottled 2 bottles ... wasn't sure if we liked (or would like) it so we're making the rest into vinegar now.

14. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

....or if you've got the right setup, just sit it on top of the hot-water system, and wrap in some taped-on newspaper for insulation.

15. Shrek

Or Kentucky and Tennessee provided that you have a distillers permit . Small scale distilling is only allowed in two counties in Tennessee.

16. Hummingbird

Well, here we go. We redid the yeast yesterday, not much help. I just got home from Bible Study and the carboy is over by the woodburner, with an electric tailed blankie wrapped around it. Guess we'll know by morning! Thanks for all the input!

Nance

Is wine-making a requirement for being a moderator around here? :haha:

17. Hummingbird

We have lift off!!! I just checked the carboy and it's perking! Looks like it just needed babied a bit. Thanks all!

Tallpines - would you mind sharing the recipe for the coffee liquor? I know several that would love something like that. Thanks!

Nance