Wine and Brewing

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by BCR, Nov 12, 2004.

1. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

I just bottled the blackberry wine I started a few months ago. I did use one 12 oz. bottle for the odd remainder and corked it with a number 7 cork. Worked great. The other fit in the sanitized wine bottles I've been collecting.

Got a few pounds of pears minced and juicing now waiting to be strained tomorrow to get the pear wine going. I love the idea of starting from fresh fruit. The elderberry wine is clearing further on the shelf in the bottle as well.

Midwest Supplies was great to order from and prompt. You only pay the actual shipping too. I am making one of their cherry brandy kits too. They say it takes 3 weeks, and I am in week 2. These are going to make nice gifts. I saved some small Orangina bottles and bought new screw tops so I can use them for the brandy gifts. The kit is about $21 and makes a gallon. So I am bottling them in small bottles to stretch the gift possibilities.

Tasted the holiday spiced beer I made last night and it is going to be fine. Though next time I will add more cardamaom/cinnamon/hops and cloves to the mix, as it is fragrant but not as strongly flavored as I'd like. Will make for nice holiday gifts as well.

What do you have brewing?

2. majic99

majic99 Well-Known Member

Don't have anything brewing now, cause I have some cider for vinegar going. We did just keg our hard cider about a month ago. It is pretty good, just not one of those beverages we drink real often.

3. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

Wellllll -

Last night we bottled the raspberry wine (1st time from a canned pulp) and it tastes wonderful. Needs a little time in the bottle but is going to be great.

We also bottled a combination of our left-overs; strawberry, blackberry & rhubarb. It's a nice light mix that's more to the dry than sweet side. Very tasty.

Still brewing we have blackberry, elderberry and uh, oh I can't remember the 3rd one! :rolleyes: DH is the brewmaster, I'm the chief assistant and taste-tester! :D

Last night we enjoyed some elderberry from the previous batch and it was just plain yummy! My MIL is so funny - normally she enjoys one glass once in a rare while and that's it. She was over for a visit/sewing day a couple of weeks ago and I chilled a 1.5 bottle of elderberry. :haha: She was hittin' on that bottle like a trout on a fly!!! She was refilling about as soon as she emptied her glass. I got a big kick out of her! She thought her son had done a really good job on that wine! Guess I'll have to make sure we bottle plenty of elderberry from now on. ;)

Have a great day!

H'bird

4. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

I didn't brew it myself, but my uncle gave me a five gallon jug of quince wine that he made. It sure is YUMMY!!!

5. Urban Dreamer

Urban Dreamer Active Member

I have a spiced holiday beer brewing and an English Brown Ale. 5 gals of each.

I had a nice strong amber going, with extra malt for a bit more alcohol. sadly, it had to sit two months because of the hurricanes and I had to dump it! I'm just now drinking a stout and a heineken copycat recipe (it's NOT even close BTW) that are aging and mellowing out in the bottles. the stout is excellent.

6. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

This is fun to hear about all you have aging. Quince...that sounds intriguing.

Am now making a note to myself to increase the elderberry for next year, H'bird. Sounds like it will be a nice sipping wine.

Urban-sorry about losing your batch to the hurricane. Have you tried other copycat recipes? Do any of them come close?

7. blanknoone

blanknoone Member

If anyone is interested, there is a good community similar to this one dedicated to home winemaking at winepress.us.

8. Hummingbird

Thanks for the link - will go check it out.

Quck question - We've discovered something of a dilemma. Now, we've been making wine for about 4 years now and have tried several different things. Lately we've discovered that when we make wine from our own fruit (all I've mentioned above plus a few others) that we have no headaches unless self-induced. (Which we try to avoid as over-indulgence is contrary to our faith). BUT - when we've made the last few batches from bottled juices (i.e Welch's white grape, red grape, cran-concord) which say they are 100% pure juice they almost always cause a headache. We use the same stablizer for all batches and pretty much the same recipes. Any ideas? Thanks!

H'bird

9. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

pesticides?

10. NancyinArkansas

NancyinArkansas Well-Known Member

We have blackberry -pear-muscadine-going-the blackbeery is so good that i have to taste-my husband wants to age it 2 years but 2 months seems to be the limit and everyone around wants some-Nancy

11. blanknoone

blanknoone Member

H'bird,
    There are lots of different chemicals that are possibly linked to headaches, and a lot of them are compounds involving tannins. But different people are sensitive to different things. If you are making fruit wines, they are generally not very tannic or you are generally adding tannins, and those tannins are stabilized so that they don't react as much as what is naturally in grapes. Quick reference would be do you most often get headaches from red (grape) wines as opposed to whites? Given the limited info you gave me, that would be my guess...you are sensitive to a compound resulting from the tannins in the grape skins.

Another possibility is that all of those juices (even the cranberry) will have concord grape in it...there may be something particular to either that grape or to Labrusca grapes (concord is one, it is one of the species native to N. America) as opposed to the European vinifera grapes that make up most wine.

12. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Nancy- I agree that the waiting is the hardest part! Which is why I am going to try to always keep something brewing so at any given time in the future I will have something ready. I always buy citrus/pineapples from a local band fundraiser so will have those to make in a month.

13. woodsrunner

woodsrunner Well-Known Member

So does anybody make root beer or other soda's?

I want to learn wine and beers also, but, the soda's appear to be less equiptment intensive to get started.

14. Hummingbird

Thanks for the input on the headaches. I'm not sure about the tannins causing the problems. DH said he doesn't add tannins to the grape juice recipes - just the fruit recipes. It doesn't seem to matter if it's the white grape juice or the red grape juice. The only common link I can find is that they are both juice from a bottle rather than our fresh fruit. :confused: Which is a real bummer because we have numerous bottles of white and concord on the shelf as well as a carboy full of red grape in process now. :( I don't seem to remember that they used to trigger headaches at all. Maybe the juice manufacturer changed something?

Thanks!

H'bird

15. Urban Dreamer

Urban Dreamer Active Member

sulfites are the most common ingredient in wine that causes headaches. if you sodium metabisulfite you will have sulfites in your wine. there are some naturally occurring sulfites in grapes, most in the darker wines. you can find some wines made without sulfites but it's rare. do you make your own with or without them?

Also, this was my first copycat beer recipe and the reason it was not very good is because i used too much flavoring hops on accident and it's VERY hoppy. it's mellowing out now so it's drinkable, but it's not great.

i'm making english brown ale which is similar to newcastle. i just tasted it last night and it's very good! it's not carbonated yet so it's hard to say for sure though. i use a recipe they mix up at the local homebrew store. www.homebrewden.com
    all of their recipes are excellent. I got myself a recipe book so i might start experimenting but until i get myself a fridge to cool the beer everything has to be an ale. i want to try lagering next !!! :)

16. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Thanks Urban.

I bottled that kit brandy yesterday. It was a successful experiment. Tastes great and made 2 -750 ml bottles, 7- 4 ounce bottles, and 4 -12 ounce bottles. Not bad gifts for the coming holidays. I am glad I tried it and will try a different liquor next time. It'll be fun to say I made it too.