Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had 2 (still have the 2006) toyota corolla's and both would not pump windshield washer in the winter.

The first one was missing the cap for the washer reservoir so I assumed that all of the alcohol had evaporated out of it and the remaining liquid froze because as soon as it warmed up it would pump fine.

Now my 2006 pump isn't working when it's below freezing. I have -20 and -30 washer fluid in the reservoir. Yesterday just one side pumped. I just poured warm water on the nozzle and both sides didn't pump.

I'm going to keep an eye on the washer fluid level. I tried reading the stick but yesterday I couldn't lift the stick so it may have been frozen. I'm going to pour some room temp fluid into the reservoir and see if that frees the stick.

Any suggestions?

Reactions: cannonfoddertfc

·
Registered
76 Posts
Assuming its a freezing problem:
De-Icer washer fluid. Prestone and RainX each make a decent version. Once you add it, make sure it gets into the lines up through the nozzles as well.
Alternately you can add Isopropyl Alcohol to your current mixture but it will evap faster than the commercial products.
These are both preventative, neither will help you thaw it out.
To thaw, just get the car warm under the hood (idle with hood closed) and then get the deicer into the lines and nozzles.

However it could be an electrical connection problem where the thermal expansion/contraction is breaking contact.
Cleaning the connection at the pump would likely cure this. Sounds weird and unrelated but it happened on my car. Cleaned the terminals and the problem went away.

Reactions: muleskinner2

·
Premium Member
16,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm using -30 F fluid now but it hasn't been a complete replacement. Yesterday the sprayer worked on one side so I did it a bunch of times to flush the hoses and nozzle. I do have some bottles of 50% rubbing alcohol.

This has happened to both of my Corollas.

Reactions: cannonfoddertfc

·
Super Moderator
10,075 Posts
fully drain and buy only -30 year round

thin lines make for easier freezing

I had problems with the cheap stuff that the shop would put in freezing.

I would keep a gallon of the purple -30 and tell them if they fill the washer fluid only use the -30 stuff

I just don't use enough of it that I m going to go through more than a gallon a year so an extra dollar or two makes it not worth the cheap stuff freezing

I think it s funny that the "all season" stuff is only good to 0

1 - 4 of 4 Posts