Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok I know there use to be a place to download windows xp updates (other than auto-update).

I'm wondering if there is a way to insert my original xp disk and have it tell me what all patches it needs. then download them. I'm wanting to burn a install disk that has them integrated so I don't have to fool with it each time (well at least not to a large degree).

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
pcdreams said:
ok I know there use to be a place to download windows xp updates (other than auto-update).

I'm wondering if there is a way to insert my original xp disk and have it tell me what all patches it needs. then download them. I'm wanting to burn a install disk that has them integrated so I don't have to fool with it each time (well at least not to a large degree).
Updates change all the time, sometimes daily, sometimes hourly. Whenever a problem is discovered the programming team, quick like a bunny write up a patch to fix the problem, then send out an notice that an update is available. You can download these from the microsoft website as they come available.

donsgal

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm aware of that. What I'm interested in is slip streaming a install disk with cumulative patches. So I don't need to reinstall all patches from day 1 of xp release. Would take far less time that way. (don't mean that to sound condesending or anything, hope it didn't come off that way).

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
If you're having to reinstall XP often enough that it's a real hassle, you might consider making the switch to Linux. It's a lot more stable.

If you want or need to stay with XP, one option would be to install XP, then update, then image the updated clean install to an external drive. Next time you need to reinstall, you'd restore from the image and be current up to that point, so you'd have to do a lot less updating. Then image the drive again to be ready for next time.

-Dan

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
pcdreams said:
I'm aware of that. What I'm interested in is slip streaming a install disk with cumulative patches. So I don't need to reinstall all patches from day 1 of xp release. Would take far less time that way. (don't mean that to sound condesending or anything, hope it didn't come off that way).
That's ok, I guess I didn't understand the question. Sorry.

donsgal

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.