Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1988 GMC extended van and, though the front window is in good shape, the rubber/plastic molding around it is coming off.

I have some "J-B Weld" (a 2-tube set to mix) and am thinking of making an attempt to put this molding back using this glue. Can this be done or does the entire front window need to be taken out and a new rubber/plastic molding put in?

Sure don't like spending money on this if I can fix it myself..............

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts
3m makes a specific adhesive for this purpose. The 2 part epoxy you have is too hard in the cured state. The prober adhesive has properties to adhere to the plastic and metal. Comes in a tube.
this , and also because the sealer / adhesive you use needs to remain flexible

·
Premium Member
11,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Robotron thanks for the URL. My son ordered this for me; and now I'm wondering how on earth to hold it in place while it cures. I know it says it cures fast; but trying to hold the entire molding around my front van window with my hands sounds a bit foolish. Any suggestions as to how to hold it in place....without buying those clips I saw on the advertisements?

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts
looking at the 80s gmc vans that rubber seal around the windshield fills the gap , the windshield is really held in by the adhesive

if it is pulling up I would probably try cleaning the area as much as possible with alcohol then getting some of the adhesive in behind the rubber and pushing it back in , wipe any excess and hold down with panters tape

I use painters tape for so many things , in about a few hours carefully remove the painters tape

but if you had a picture of how yours is pulling up it might help to see that

·
Premium Member
11,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pete you are always so kind in the way you help and so clear. You are exactly right in that it is just a rubber seal that fills the gap between edges of the window and the van itself.

I went out (in this terrible heat) and looked it over good. It is a hard thick rubber yet still quite flexible. (My poor old van has sat out in the sun for over 20 yrs.) It has actually shrunk meaning it has become shorter (not more narrow) so there is a spot in the middle at the top of the window as well as in the middle of the bottom part of the window where the rubber mold no long meet...maybe 3". The only places where this seal is loose is at the bottom of the window. The passenger side has about 3" (forming a curve upward) and cannot be pushed back in because the seal is still in place; so to get that part to lay back down into the groove, I will need to pull the rest of that part of the seal up first. The driver's side is different in that the entire strip from where it rounds the corner of the van's window to where it lays down into the groove at the bottom of the window is loose. Still it looks like I will need to pull that part up all the way to where the seal rounds the window...simply because where it is rounding the window, it is not touching the glass even though the rest of it is...is...still adhered to the metal.

What it looks like I will need to do is pull the rest of the seal up to where it has raised (on both sides); apply this glue my son ordered (will be here in about a week) to the "top" part of that seal (or maybe I should add that glue to the bottom part too???) and then simply push the seal back into the groove it was meant to fill. If I recall what I read about this glue correctly, I will have about 5-10 (will hopefully get it done in 6) minutes to maneuver it into where I want it to be. Now that raises the question as to how to make sure it stays in place during these terribly hot days we're having and it sitting out in the sun the entire time. It needs 24-48 hrs to cure properly.

Awhile back I purchased some flashing that has glue on one side of it. This flashing is quite strong; so I'm thinking I can simply cut off pieces of it and use it strategically to hold the seal in place in as many places as seems good. Then (like the painter's tape you mentioned) I can carefully pull it off later. (Don't have painters tape or would use that.)

At least I now know I won't need to dish out a couple of hundred to get a professional to reinstall the seal. That sure feels good!

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts
painter tape is very useful for lots of things , it has decent adhesion on the strait pull but when pulled up it releases without pulling up paint or leaving residue and every store that sells paint sells it
stronger than plain old masking tape and leaves less residue , but releases without damage

we have it in a couple widths and use it all the time https://www.amazon.com/Duck-Painter...qid=1656005530&sprefix=painter,aps,126&sr=8-5

1 - 8 of 8 Posts