Window coverings near a wood stove?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by almostthere, Oct 14, 2005.

1. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

We're installing the wood stove this weekend, and its going thru the roof. the problem is, 2 windows nearby...one behind the stove and one on the side. I was going to just put up normal heavy quilts until I realized this would be a fire hazzard. If we moved the stove to the other wall(without windows), we'd have to find a fire retardent material to cover the wall, wouldnt we? Just want to get this done right. Thanks in advance!

2. lacyj

lacyj Well-Known Member

The heat from the stove pipe will probably crack your window, also. I put a kerosene lamp on a china buffet with a mirror and cracked the mirror. You really need to rethink the location of your stove. Usually having a one or two inch air space between backing material and the wall is o.k. I'm sure others will be better able to give you the spacifics...(sp)

3. almostthere

I'm worried about the glass breaking too, didnt think of posting it tho. I was trying to talk him into removeing the window but there's two of them right there together. But I think for safety's sake I should be carefull with the curtians, no matter where the stove goes. If the room werent so small(and it wasnt the front entrance) I would simply put it in the center of the room. wait, that might work. I dunno. Thats the only room in the house that has a concrete pad under it and we just feel safer using that room.

4. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Every woodstove should have a required setback distance from combustibles. The setback can range from about 5 inches to 36 inches depending on the model of stove you own. A sheetrock wall, wood work, wooden window casings, curains and drapes are all considered "combustibles." I assume your window has a wooden casing and trim. If so, you must maintain the required setback from the window with or without drapery.

5. Silvercreek Farmer

Silvercreek Farmer Living the dream. Supporter

I put in my stove last year and loved it. However I wouldn't recommend installing it your self unless you are real sure of what you are doing. I read books for months before doing it, and even then kept clearences longer than what I needed. Your house burning down is one mistake you don't want to make. Read up real well, or get someone who knows what they are doing. You might want to check with your home owner's insurance as well.
    The first couple of times you fire it feel the surfaces around it after 4-5 hours of fire, they shouldn't be uncomfortably warm. Also before you leave the house or go to bed, do a safety check, it is not too hard for some left over kindling or news paper to be too close.
    I just can't stress how important safety is with a wood stove, they are not "idiot proof" like most things these days. A good book that comes to mind it The New Wood Burner's Guide.

6. almostthere

Thanks for those numbers cabin fever and that info matthew. Hubby is a certified HVAC Journeyman so what he doesnt know he has information available to him, usually. But I wanted to come on here and ask, b/c I know the majority here have BTDT and know what works. Theres nothing wrong with asking right? The ins. company already gave me instructions on how to list it as soon as its installed. And yes I am worried about fire. Thats why its only going in that room. I'll have to go find that book, thanks for listing it. My aunt had a wood burner as her only heat source and I really miss it. Its a different kind of warm.

7. pickapeppa

pickapeppa Well-Known Member

Ours was 2 ft. away from a brick facing on the wall and sitting on stone flooring. The ins. company still made us take it out. The agent said it needed to be 3 ft. of clearance on all sides. Geez.

I agree with the safety thing, but I think our agent is in overkill mode. He also told us our company would drop our homeowners policy unless I bought business insurance from them too. Ooops. Sorry for that little slip. :rolleyes: