windmills

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by stumpyacres, Jun 6, 2005.

1. stumpyacres

stumpyacres Well-Known Member

How do I get started?

2. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

For water pumping? or electriciy? Need more info about what you want to do.

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    If its electricity your seeking check in the archives under 'alternative energy', after clicking countryside section. Water has a catagory there also.

4. stumpyacres

I live on a windy hill - electricity is what Im thinkin. I hve been doing some research. I wonder - since I am a teacher - is there are any grants available? hmm

5. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Just need more info to help you, don't know what you are thinking. Some big $250,000 generator to produce elec & sell back to the utility for a 20 year investment, a little wind generator to supplument your current electric supply, or are you totally off-grid (or want to cut the lines and go off grid) and have your own indpent power supply?

Each case is a way different thing, and you really haven't stated your intention here. Each situation is quite different, no point giving you advise for a system you don't want......

In any case, wind power is a varible thing, & storage is what costs you all the money. If you can sell back to your power company, they become your 'battery'. In all cases, it tends to be a 10-20 year pay off before you start actually 'saving' money on the setup, unless you can't get power where you are now.

Just not sure what you have considered, what the scope of your plan is, what it is you are looking for?

--->Paul

6. Nan(TX)

Nan(TX) Well-Known Member

7. stumpyacres

I was thinking to say electric bill money. So to power up the house I guess. I really have thought about it for some time - wonder if anyone out there has done this. Sounds like the batteries would be quite and investment. 250,000 is way over my budget.