Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you have links to vendors that sell windmill pumps? So far, I haven't been able to find good pricing information on line for them. We need a backup water supply for the stream/creek, and we're fortunate to have an unusually productive bored well in the middle of a new pasture we're building. We're trying to build a comparison of costs between using a windmill verses using a generator powered jet pump. Thanks for any advice/guidance you can provide.

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks WisJim. A much too quick first look would seem to point to a budget of about $5-6K for a windmill, tower, and pump. First I think I might just buy the book and do some studying.

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
My friend that install used, rebuilt ones charges $3K to $4K, installed, or more depending on size, tower height, and distance to travel (If I recall correctly). He doesn't have a website, though, he is busy enough without one.

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
http://www.vintagewindmills.com/default.htm there are many vendors on this site, they do new and rebuilt mills, many different brands and types, and if you want to rebuild one your self there willing to help,

I suggest a re rebuilt Chicago Aermotor 702 model, of the proper size. (wheel size)

there is a chart on the Aermotor site to give you the well depth cylinder size and the mill that will pump it,

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I've been looking for used ones anywhere in our area (NW Georgia). It seems the closest possible source for that is Texas or Oklahoma. Wind mills/pumps are just not that prevalent here, but I think for our application and on the hill crest where it would sit, it would probably work well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts