Windfall Apples

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Up North, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Don't overlook Windfall Apples as a food source and treat for your Piggies ;)

Any other free fruit/Veg idears?

2. CountryMamaof5

CountryMamaof5 Well-Known Member

Our apple tree is dropping apples right now and in the morning we will be collecting some and taking it to our piggies. They will love them!

We had a farmer plant turnips down the road a bit (rented land) and we know the farmer who owns the land. I am thinking of asking him if i can go to his field and take any turnips i can find that are left behind.

Turnips would be okay for pigs right?

3. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

when we had pigs ,we fed the fattening stock 1/4 ration of pre frozen apples every morn . the freezing broke down the apples and the pigs were less likly to choke. we chopped any whole fruits/vegys and would have been better to cook them into a stew. at any time we did not feed anymore than 1/4 of the ration as vegy/fruit. the apples gave the pork a wonderful taste! also used apples that had been cider pressed fresh and frozen.

4. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

Use some caution when feeding whole fruits to the piggers. The seeds of many fruits contain toxic substances. Apple seeds contain (albeit minute) amounts of a cyanide compound and in large quantities could cause some health problems up to and including mortality. I think one would have to feed a LOT of apples to a pig to cause it to become ill or die, but I've read about folks feeding exclusively whatever the free feed source is currently. I suspect Ford Major's regimine of 1/4 of the total ration is probably very good advice. I never considered that apples might impart some flavor to the meat.... I guess you really are what you eat...

5. savinggrace

savinggrace COO of manure management

Hi,

Ask and you shall recieve. I stopped by a local farm stand, and asked if they sold over-ripe produce-I mentioned I have 150 chickens, and two pigs who would be glad to take excess!

The owner's eyes brightened. "How much can you use"? I said 'A lot!'. No charge. Just promise to pick up once a day so the bees don't get so bad!

Yesterday, they dined on super sweet melons and some potatoes. Daily- tomatoes, sweet corn a day or two past optimal sweetness, beet tops, wilted dill, outside leaves of cabbage, green peppers, too soft peaches, on and on!

This works out great for both of us. At the end of the day the farm stand owner doesn't have to truck all the over ripe produce away to be dumped in the field. I drop off two clean cans with lids so the bees don't get bad. It is sort of theraputic to smash melons into pieces. And the pigs-they just love all the goodies!

Another place not to over look-if you have a day-old-bread outlet in your area, ours will sell a truck bed full of bread and bakery treats past it's date for $10.00.

My best,

Melissa

6. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

7. CountryMamaof5

CountryMamaof5 Well-Known Member

8. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Don't forget the pumpkins, squash, corn stalks and such. I give folks credit for having common sense to know that these are supplemental feeds that can reduce grain bill- not the main course,LOL.
    Far as I know, Turnips are just fine, as are oats, wheat, barley leftovers if you can get them to the porkers or the porkers to them :p

9. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

another source of bread dough can be pizzarias! our local mixed up his dough the night before, stuck the leftovers in the oven and it cooked on the residual heat. we would soak the dough with water or milk then feed it too the piggys or chooks. nother source of bread type can be doughnut shops. just watch the whole vegys, they can choke! had a deal like you melissa hauled unsold produce for pigs, chickens and goats ,goats loved the pumpkins ,were fun too watch as they dove into a pumpkin then got it hooked on their horns! our guys got a barley,oat field pea mix with a bit of corn and alfalfa mixed in, made for tender lean pork! 1/4 veg/fruit 1/4 bread milk 1/2 grain. never had problems with the seeds, perently mono gastrics stomaches moved the seeds through fast enough. we did check with our vet before trying feeding apples, old time vet (was 30 years ago when we started doing this!) who was very knowledgeable and willing too share his knowledge.

10. Argent Farms

Argent Farms Pig farmer

Apples and pears, the pigs are eating a bunch of them right now. My pear tree is overloaded but the pears caught some disease that makes the skin leathery and split. The pigs don't seem to mind them one bit though!

Between the spent brewer's grain from work, the fruit from the trees and the 3 sacks of cracked corn our neighbor gave us, right now the 2 pigs are eating for free!