Windbreak Issues

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jena, May 9, 2006.

1. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I had planned to plant a windbreak on the north side of my property. I bought the trees (containerized, so the ones not planted yet are still ok) and started planting two rows.

When they put in my new septic, they put the leach field in a different place than where they had marked for it.

It runs right into my propsed windbreak.

So now I have a nice two row windbreak, with about a 40 foot gap, which happens to be directly across from the house, the thing I was trying to protect in the first place. I have some trees probably closer than they ought to be to that leach field, but in order to fill the gap, I'd have to put them right on top of it.

What can I do? Would a couple rows of tall shrubs, maybe set closer to the house do the trick? Maybe a row at the windbreak line, but then another row or two closer to the house to keep the wind lifted? Can I put shrubs over the leach field? I can put a row about 100 feet from the house without being right on top of the field, then another row or two either right against the house or 40 foot or so away.

I also have five left over trees (that should have been in the gap). I plan to make another windbreak on another side, but was going to wait for next year. I have to burn down a shed before I can do that one. If I plant my little trees just anywhere, can I dig them back up next spring to put them where I really want them. I know their days are limited in those pots and I don't want to lose them.

Thanks
    Jena

2. GoatsRus

GoatsRus TMESIS

What type of trees are you using as a windbreak? I'm trying to decide on what trees to use as a privacy fencing between us and the neighbors. something that grows fast and will be under 40 ft tall due to power lines. I was just curious.

3. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

Trees or shrubs planted over the septic field can cause severe problems, at least that's been my experience. The roots seek out the moisture and nutrients. I did a quick search on Alta Vista, and the advice seems to be plant flowers or grass over them, but never trees and shrubs. There was even some debate on the links about the health issues associated with growing/eating veggies grown over them. Maybe someone else will have more positive news to share.

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Jena. What kind of trees are you using? If you plant the extra trees on the west side of the house, they will benifit you at least as much as on the north. When we get a north wind, it's a dandy, but it doesn't happen more than about 1 day out of 10. West winds hang on for days at a time. The only time we get an east wind is when a storm is brewing. They are the ones who go on around to the north. We have two rows of evergreens all the way around the buildings. They make a huge difference in how much wind hits us. Our big mistake was setting them too close together. It's hard to picture how big they will get. Whenever evergreens get large enough to touch each other the limbs that are touching will die deader than a hammer. Therefore our double rows of trees only have live limbs on the outside of each row. They still look beautiful until you get in between the rows. If you can't set your trees in a permanent location now, dig a hole and put pot and all down in it. That will keep the roots cooler, and more moist until you can move them. If they are getting root bound in the pots, I'd find a perminant place for them now, more than 30 feet from the leach bed. Have fun Unk

5. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

You do need to leave the leach bed in grass. Nothing at all deeper rooted.

--->Paul

6. kmaproperties

kmaproperties Well-Known Member

Leach beds need to be grass only.
    We used hybrid poplars and ameriwillows as a windbreak, they grew 10 feet the first year and 5 more the next. they are suposed to stop at 35-45 ft.

7. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

GoatsRus - lillacs

8. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I'm planting Norway Spruce.

Well, I guess I'll just plant something else right near the house in that spot. Junipers or something. I hate junipers, they are just ugly. I did carry my windbreak around the corner to the east. I can't really plant a lot on that side because of the power lines. The west is on the list. Got to burn the shed down first, but there is another question about that.

I spaced the trees based on what I read on-line. 16 feet apart, with the rows 8 feet apart.

I used hybrid poplars in the desert. Planted a stick and it grew to a tree. They have very invasive roots so be sure you don't have them anywhere near a water line. Same with willows.

Jena

9. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

While in Alberta, I saw some windbreaks made of tall timbers with windbreak netting stretched between them -- they had to be at least 20 feet tall. The farmer said that if he owned the land, he'd plant trees, but since he was only renting, he put up the windbreak fences.

Perhaps something like this would work in your gap?

10. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

How about a fence painted to look like a bunch of wild west store fronts?? :)